Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Hodgdon products Universal Clays, HS-6, and Longshot all work well for 28 gauge.

I use Universal myself, because it works for both 20 gauge and 28 gauge. Reasonably clean burning (doesn't leave residue in my barrel, even though I use "shortie" chamber inserts.)

Lots of options available for primer and wad, but I like Winchester primers, and Downrange PC28 wads.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Unique works quite well in the 28 and also works well for the 20.
Try the Alliant web site for receipes.
Jim G

·
Registered
105 Posts
Over the past 40 years I have loaded Herco,540..now HS6,Unique, Universal, Green Dot and Longshot. If you load "by the book" my thoughts are the old Winshester 540 was my best load.
Bulgie

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have data for the following hulls:

Fiocchi Purple Target: Blue Dot, Herco, Universal

Fiocchi Plastic: Universal, HS-6, Longshot

Winchester AA: PB, SR-4756, SR-7625, Solo 1250, Herco, Unique, 800-X, Universal, W540, W571, Longshot

Ballistic Products Multi Hull: Longshot, Solo 1250, Herco, SR-7625, SR-4756, HS-7, Lil'Gun, 800-X, HS-6, Steel

Federal Plastic, Paper Base Wad: Blue Dot, Herco, Solo 1250, Unique, Universal, 800-X, SR-7625, PB, SR-4756, HS-7

Remington Nitro 27, STS 7 Unibody: Solo 1250, Universal, 800-X, SR-4756, SR-7625,

Remington 3-Piece Black Plastic: Blue Dot, Herco, Unique, Universal

I have no Green Dot Data for 28 Gauge. There is Green Dot data on the Aliant' reloader's guide on the Web. Check it out.

All of this has been taken from "Reloading for Shotgunners 5th Edition"

·
Registered
263 Posts
For a time last year Green Dot was removed from the Alliant Reloading Guide for 28 gauge. An article appeared in the Skeet Shooting Review about the same time citing, I beleive, excessive pressure which was damaging the chambers of some tube inserts. Recently Green Dot appeared back in the Guide again but pressures are usually the highest of any of the powders. If I were shooting tubes I think I'd select another powder; lots of good ones.
Jim G

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sorry about all the rucus about Green dot, I saw that Bulgie had used it and I had never seen it listed for 28 loads. I like Unique, but use Green in my 12 ga loads. AJ

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I have loaded most of the powders listed and I like Unique the best. Jeff

·
Registered
14,590 Posts
I use Longshot. I had used Universal clays till they came out w/ the new AA hull, and there was not a reload available in the chart w/ Universal. Now there is. I had my best luck w/ consistancy and patterns w/ Universal. The longshot so far has been fine, but if your shooting 20 and 28, why have 2 powders? Universal is a great 20 ga. powder too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.