Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VERY true, I'm pretty sure that Clays is the cleanest of all of them, at least from the experience that I have...And I believe that Clay Dot from Alliant comes in a close second. And even though I don't have experience with them, I've heard that Red Dot and 700X are also pretty clean burning.

-Jollytrapshooter

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You haven't seen clean till you've tried solo 1000

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
PB, American Select and e3 (tie), and Solo 1000 in that order. Clays is way down on the list. Everyone says Clays is clean because the residue is gray and hard to see against barrel steel.

To tell you the truth, none of them are clean as a swab down the bore will tell you. Some like the ones above make lots of evenly distributed microscopic particles. Some are just plain hard to see, and others like Red Dot make easy to see black clumps.

E

·
0 Posts
I have found that most of the standard powders from Hodgdon are very clean shooting. I have shot Titewad, Clays, International Clays, and Titegroup. I prefer Titegroup over them all. More vesatile, economical, and still shoots clean.

I still load Longshot for my back-ups, but it is pretty dirty.

ec90t

M

·
0 Posts
Buy a "Bore Snake", use it occasionally during a shoot and "cleanliness" becomes a non-issue. Focus on performance.

Mike

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Who cares? The residue blows out the end with each shot. The plastic is the only culprit in long-term barrel hygene (quality wads help). Use a factory bullit for the last shot and the barrel will be clean.LOL...merlyn...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I vote for clays. I used to use green dot....nasty nasty stuff.

Also, a note on Clay Dot. From my experience I have found there to be alot of variation between drops with clay dot. Therefore, I load clays.

Forrest

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Quite interesting that so many opinions abound about how clean different powders burn, but nobody has actually measured the powder residue produced. Looking down a barrel is not a way to measure powder residue. One of the "clean" powders mentioned above leaves residue in the form of very small granules that leave the barrel shiny, but if a white rag is pushed through the shiny barrel, it comes out black.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
610 Posts
I used a white rag of sorts once. That was the first time that I opened a new 12 gauge bore swab. After that the color never really changed....its pretty much black. I guess what I should have said is that the clays "appears" to burn cleaner.

Forrest

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
teleskier - I do not know, or really care, which powder is the cleanest. Both the cleanest and dirtiest powder deserved to be wiped out of the barrel now and then and it takes the same effort to get both of them out.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
240 Posts
Solo 1000 is a pretty clean powder. Red Dot isnt that bad but its not at the top. And 700X, well that stuff was just plain dirty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.