Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling an item and was wondering what you people recommend is the safest way for me to have the purchaser make payment?Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
If you are dealing with the right person (integrity) personal check is easiest for both parties.
If you don't know the individual, certified bank draft.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
If you are dealing with the right person (integrity) personal check is easiest for both parties.
If you don't know the individual, certified bank draft.
Agree, or if you really don't trust them a Postal Money order and even then, they can be faked. I prefer personal check and the seller can hold as long as they see fit. I am typically in no hurry for anything I buy, and I hate getting bank drafts or a Postal MO. I would also say, it depends on the amount of money you are talking about also, as to how much security you want to try to have in the transaction.

·
Just getting by.....
988 Posts
I'm selling an item and was wondering what you people recommend is the safest way for me to have the purchaser make payment?Any suggestions would be helpful.
Amount and delivery time would matter:

USPS Money Orders (bias alert, I work for the PO)
Fees
$0.01 to $500.00 $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00 $1.60

Any PO will cash, if they have the cash on hand. Fakes are easily spotted by employees. Banks will cash also, there should be no hold, as we have a toll free verification number. Get a copy of the cashed MO or replacement for less than $6 if needed.

Cashiers checks are free some places and some charge a fee. Fakes are easy to make. Banks tend to hold 5-7 days. You can call issuing bank to verify.

Western Union or MoneyGram wire transfers, tend to be expensive. Their money orders are a pain to replace or track.

Walmart to Walmart, quick (5 minutes) and less than $10 per $900 (I think that's the max).

Personal check, bank will hold 5-7 days if over "X" amount, possibility of getting a bad one also.

Cash, face to face only in a public place. Take a friend (preferably armed) for safety. Never mail cash.

Lot's of choices, if it feels wrong then stop the transaction.

Some seller's will not want you to send a check or MO signature mail (Certified costs $3.30 extra, $3.77 total for a letter).

I'd rather lose a sale than the merchandise. If it's a fair price someone else will buy it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I bought on this site and sent a personal check and told the seller how to identify (look me up) on the internet. He gave me 3 days to look over the gun, once I got it from my FFL - that took 1 day as it was pristine. It all worked out fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Postal money orders without a doubt, and I don't work for USPS. Short of cash, of course. But I always require Postal money orders, and cash them before shipping. If you accept a bank check, there's no way to know if it is good for 7-10 days sometimes. Unless it's drawn on a bank you can visit and cash. I'll accept checks from the national banks where again, I can cash it in a way that is totally separate from my bank and accounts.

Look, it's such a piece of cake to buy and accept Postal money orders and avoid fraud. Or avoid other situations. I accepted a personal check for a deposit this summer and it bounced. This after a bunch of back and forth on payment method, didn't like money orders, please take a personal check. Super nice guy, but nice people bounce checks. Or have other situations come up that cause financial crisis.

It's business, and I like crisp and clean. Essentially a cash deal. Accepting a personal check is a risk for any business. Sure plenty of times it works out great, and for little stuff I'll take a check.

But risk is risk, and everyone has their own approach to risk. Mine is zero tolerance when it comes to gun sales. I've got lots of ways to lose money that are out of my control. Not gonna happen selling my stuff!

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Postal money orders without a doubt, and I don't work for USPS.

Look, it's such a piece of cake to buy and accept Postal money orders and avoid fraud.

But risk is risk, and everyone has their own approach to risk. Mine is zero tolerance when it comes to gun sales. I've got lots of ways to lose money that are out of my control. Not gonna happen selling my stuff!
That is not the case everywhere. The Post offices here typically have lines out the door. I won't wait an hour+ to get a MO to pay someone. The small town PO's typically close at 2:30. I can't get there till 3. I went to 3 different towns a few weeks ago trying to mail a package before I found one open. This was 3 in the afternoon.

I have bought lots of Postal MO's over the years, but anymore, I will NOT do it. If someone won't take my personal check, or at the very least a bank check from my bank, we won't be doing business. I have done quite a few deals on here with personal checks, both sending and receiving. No problems yet...knock on wood. As I said in my earlier reply, the amount of the deal would of course factor in. I don't want a personal check for $15,000 for a gun I am selling, but anything under a grand or so I think is fine. As you said, it's all about your personal tolerance of risk, and how much you want to trust someone. Always go with your gut!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts