Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use? I’ve been shooting a camo cynergy but looking to get something heavier and something that doesn’t have a stock that feels like a pencil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a pair of 12ga Browning Citori Lightning all-camo O/Us that I use for turkey hunting (26” barrels) and for waterfowl hunting (30” barrels), respectively. They have been dependable, heavy-duty shooters. The 30” Citori weighs about 8.25 lbs. Browning made a few 32” guns too that would be somewhat heavier. They shoot the 3.5” shells, if you want to feel the pain! I see there is a 30” (GI #101814992) and a 32” (GI #101783209) camo Citori Lightning for sale now on Guns International.

If you would consider a SXS waterfowl gun, look for a vintage A.H. Fox super HE grade with 30” or 32” barrels, which generally weigh from 9 to 10+ lbs. They were/are the king of the duck guns and promoted by Nash Buckingham in his classic writings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have used Winchester 101.....as well as a Beretta 682....both Trap models (heavy ,with thick stocks) BUT....
I prefer a THIRD SHOT !!! In other words....a PUMP or SEMI AUTO.
682 might be interesting to look at. No interest in an auto personally. Gave my autos to nephews a couple years ago.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Alan! Pretty sure I am going to give the lightning a try. Now just debating barrels. Is the 30” well balanced?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks Alan! Pretty sure I am going to give the lightning a try. Now just debating barrels. Is the 30” well balanced?

Steve,

Yes, the 30” all-camo Citori is a good all around gun for all types of waterfowl hunting, from shooting over-water with decoys, field hunting with decoys, and pass shooting ducks/geese and Cranes. The 32” camo Citori might be better for longer shots when field hunting and especially pass shooting. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK, I measured the grip circumference (GC) and the grip length (GL) on the Citori Lightning camo and the Citori Hunter models, both with 3.5" chambers and 30" barrels:

GC was 4 15/16" on the Lightning vs 5" on the Hunter model.

GL was 4 3/8" on the Lightning vs 4" on the Hunter model,

Thus, the grip circumference is similar, but the grip length of the Lightning is somewhat (3/8") longer, which is probably better for shooting with heavy gloves.

I will post photos below as to how GC and GL are measured on a shotgun, and some side by side photos of the Lightning vs Hunter model, for eyeball grip comparison.

Finally, here is what Browning says about the Lightning grip:

Browning Citori Lightning Over and Under Shotgun -The lightning-style rounded pistol grip It offers a more open grip than full pistol grip designs. Many shooters feel this gives a slight speed-to-shoulder advantage. It represents a midpoint in design between ultra-speedy straight grips and extremely stable full pistol grips. If offers excellent control for whatever you are after -- fast-flying waterfowl, upland game or just shooting fun. Matching the rounded pistol grip is the forearm. It is nicely rounded at the fore-end and together, they give the name to this over under gun as "Lightning Style," or in this case, the Citori Lightning model.

Property Font Urban design Engineering Plan

Leg Wood Finger Scaled reptile Flooring

Brown Wood Musical instrument Hardwood Varnish

Tableware Hood Wood Linens Kitchen utensil

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you have ever shot an old A5 with the round knob grip, you'll love the lightning.
I have a 1966 A5 on the rack and my target gun is a lightning special sporting clays version. With a round knob grip.
If you can find a Franchi Instinct SL, grab it to see what it feels like. You won't want to duck hunt with the Franchi, way too light, but it will give a good feel for the grip.
Standard Lightning models should be easy enough to find to try out the grip.
IMO the slender grip is easier to take off balanced odd angle shots. The pistol grips requires a more secure fixed grip.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Back in the late 1990's SKB made a model 585 O/U called the "Waterfowler" and it had a flat matted finish on the stock and the blueing that was made specifically for hunting ducks. My friend had one and purchased it new and used it for many years to hunt waterfowl under all kind of conditions and never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To me it feels front heavy and unbalanced as a result. Maybe it is a perfect gun for someone else, I just don’t shoot it as well as my 686 or z sport and attribute it to feeling like a pencil of a stock. I’ll probably try some shot / weight in the stock and also pick up a citori to try this summer.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My Grandfather used a Winchester 101 12ga that now belongs to my Brother as I prefer Autos. I did shoot one of my most memorable doubles on Mallards with that Win 101 my Brother tripped in the slough and was on His knees and I went to get him unstuck and up on his feet and out of the mud. I went out of the blind without my gun and right when I went to get him up a pair of Mallards came in he could not shoot the way he was stuck he handed me the Win 101 and two shots I had two Mallards with there feet up.
I have no idea what year that Win 101 is but it’s still in very good condition.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts