Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son started shooting trap for 4H....turns out he really likes my 391. Well since he likes the 391 and shoots it well, I thought I better get me a new gun. Checking the finances come tax time I will have up to $2000 to spend. I have shot Beretta O/Us and really like them, but a 682 seems to be out of my price range. I know I will get a ton of opinions, but I would still like to know what the best O/U in my price range is. I don't shoot a ton, but I shoot about 4,000 shells a year. Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Gary

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Beretta 686 would be my first choice. Browning would be my next choice. I am average size 5'11" and 185lbs and the Berettas fit me better than the Brownings. You can take your time and find a nice gun at a reasonable price. I found a 686 with 28 inch barrel with upgraded wood in 93% for $900.00. I've been offered $1500.00 for it but I'm keeping it. LOL Jackie B.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm a big fan of the beretta 682's. I'm not sure someone like me that shoots 2500 rounds or so a year could wear one out in two lifetimes if you take just a little care of them. I shoot mine at everything--skeet, trap, sporting, doves, quail, pheasant, ducks whatever. I have three of the older models as I don't really like the looks of the latest Gold e model

I have a silver receiver sporting model(1994 I believe) that is in very good condition that I would sell for $1500. It has 28" bbls with 1.5 inch beretta extended mobile chokes that make it swing about like a 30. It has a very high quality adjustable comb that I raise about .25 inch to shoot trap and lower for everything else. I can send pictures if you are interested.

·
5,228 Posts
I think any of the Browning "target" Citoris would be an excellent value. In addition to the "trap" guns, I would also consider the "sporting" guns... either 425 or 525 sporting models... all are well built on the proven Citori platform.

regards and good luck,

Jay

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
Browning Citori Plus. Any fitting required, you're covered. Make sure the rib (aluminum) is straight. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
I agree with Jay (spitter) posting above 110%. Can't go wrong with a Browning...best value for the $. Best Regards, Ed

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Brownings are good guns but before you buy one locate a gunsmith you trust that knows how to work on them. Factory service is practically non-existent and warranty claims are handled, according to Browning< on a "case by case" basis.

MK

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I think you could find a nice 682x Beretta in your price range. I have 2 of these models in combo sets and the more expensive of the two was $2150 from a large wid western retailer. That gun was in about 95% condition when I got it and still had all of the original finish on the breech face.

The newer 682 models do cost quite a bit more but mostly what you get there over a 682x is cosmetic bling.

The Browning XT is a great gun too but the Beretta has a bit trimmer reciever if that makes any difference to you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Go used! Beretta 682/687, won't ever wear out, and if you ever resell, will get most of your money back.

I'd look on this site, or guns america, or try joel etchen's used...

Good luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can still get Belgium made Browning Superposed for around $1,500. One of the best guns ever built. Shot my first 100 straight with one. - Mark

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Browning Citori Trap. You can get an excellent condition, used, with a hard case for $1500. The gun will out last you. Jon

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Better make sure you shoot a Browning Plus before you buy, a lot of people including myself found out the hard way they couldn't shoot them worth beans, in other words they are great guns just not for everyone.

·
Vendor
4,922 Posts
We have a Browning Citori, Special Trap edition, 32" barrel, Diana grade choke tubes (2), adj comb ( not the Browning hardware), Counter Coil butt, 15" LOP, box, top lever well to right of center. $ 1600.00
Mike Battista
727 410 5212

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.