Votes: 8 50.0%
  • 30"

Votes: 3 18.8%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on picking up a Beretta Xtreme Opti-Fade in the next month or so and will be mainly hunting Canadian geese, duck and pheasant primarily in Ohio and Michigan. Trying to decide between 26" 28" or 30". Lets see some opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought a a400 xtream a couple of years and realy like it. I went back and forth on what size buy. I ended up going with the 30 inch. It keeps the muzzle farther away from others in the blind, it also keeps it away from you when you forget to put your hearing protection on. I never understood some of these guns sold waterfowl guns that are ported? That just seems like a bad idea unless you hunting alone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I own a 28" xtreme optifade and I shoot that gun better than any other gun I own. Love it. 28" seems perfect for that gun

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
A 28" if it's a 3.5" gun. For years I used a 26" auto for ducks, which is the same length as a 30" OU in most cases. Shorter barrels swing quicker, longer barrels smoother. I now shoot all 28" auto guns for waterfowl.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had a 26" 3-1/2" Super Vinci. When I switched to left hand, I traded for a 28" SBEII. I feel that this length in a 3-1/2" gun is the best overall for doves to geese.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Its what ever you like and think works for you! To each his own, there is no perfect answer.

Reactions: Chance McCall

·
Registered
19 Posts
What Red Birds said... I've been using a 26" beretta al390 for almost 20 years and I've never felt like a longer barrel would have been better. Ducks, geese, pheasant, dove, turkey, clay targets.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Man. I am way out there then. I use a Beretta 303 with a 24" barrel for all of my hunting - ducks, doves, etc. Brings them down just fine, and is much easier to handle in a blind.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
I think 28" is best all around length, gives you all the options you need if equipped with choke tubes.
I like the length for a longer sighting plane as I am used to shooting a trap gun more than any others.
Like the others have stated it really ends up being your personal preference.
Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Depends on what type of birds .... ducks with a 12, I'd go with 26"-28". Pheasant I tend to go with 28" and quail I am good with either 26" or 28" but lean to the 28". This is due to the type of cover, thick brush I use the 26".

I don't use 30" for anything but clays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts