Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK-been using a Kick-Ezz rocker, for the last few years. Looking for a Kick-Ezz pad that will help me get a more consistent mount. Thinking of going back to the modified trap design.

Looking for some help.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Vendor
19,355 Posts
Phil. It is you. Adopt harlans mount and you'll be fine with a rocker. I learned it 25 years ago. I do have it in pics if you want to see me doing it. I teach this mount to anyone that wants to do it the "Pro Way"

Jack

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jack, would really appreciate it. A coach said all my misses today were do to in consistent mounts.
Phil

·
Vendor
19,355 Posts
One of my pics changed into to a BMP file an will not post on the server. Send me a PM with your email.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
You could also grind out the center of the pad to make it concave, so it fits into your shoulder. Even just a slight amount seems to be noticeable as to the height in which the pad is on your shoulder. Once you have it to where you would like, just sand with some very fine sandpaper, to smooth it out.

Might be a little tough to do on a rocker, seeing as it is convex. Maybe purchase a flat Kick-eez pad and do the grinding. That way you can keep the LOP the same, while custom fitting to yourself.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Just about any concave pad will help, (helped me anyway) the more concave the better. There's another + to the concave pads they "fit\cover" more shoulder area so spread the recoil out over a larger area. You will know\feel immediately when you mount your gun whether it's in the right place or not. Also roughen it up a little (if necessary) so it doesn't slide down on your shoulder as you shoot, if it slides down you will shoot high.

A Morgan or Jones type pad adjuster may also help with drop and\or canting. This applies to pre-mounted guns only, no good for low gun activities. Good Luck--just try 1 thing at a time so you know if that 1 thing helped or hindered. Ross Puls

·
Vendor
19,355 Posts
Keep in mind that minor variations of this are peculiar to each top shooter, but they all essentially do the steps in this order. I had hope to photograph Scot Gens this year but did not. I should get him this year at Owatonna MN in a couple of weeks. He is the best. Jerry Demulling does it exactly like this except he "chunks" his cheek down on the comb rather than turning his face into the comb. Either works. But the key is step number two... It is called the "gun at set". And note how close the pad is to the shoulder. If you only have to move the gun a couple of inches, it does not have time to go astray.

Campbell does it just like I do except he keeps the gun on his toe. Then he closes the gun to essentially my gun down point then goes to set. Turns his head in and mounts the gun. I will edit this some, but here are the pics in order.
Gun down

Gun at set

Turn head in

gun mount

I am looking off slightly simply because I felt funny pointing this gun at my wife. Hah!

I'll come back and edit additionally.

·
Vendor
19,355 Posts
Directly to the right. Harlan does that to receive th ecomb. Scot does too. The fact is a huge majority of top shooters use this method. they may describe it differently, and execute it with a bit more grace, but the key is to get the "gun at set" right and then you have removed most of any potential error. To be fair to Harlan, his mount is very smooth and the gun at set is just a fluid move.

I learned this originally from my original coach Jack Gracey. Gracey also taught me the slide/press forward into the shot that Harlan does so well.

This system can be taught and learned. My son-in-law, Mark Cameron (mgr Minneapolis Gun Club) does these exact steps including the press/slide into the shot.

Every good shooter I have ever witnessd use this system has his own little variation. You will develop one as well.

Greater proof that this works is the comparison of the Harlan method with that of a hunter gun mount. They have a very tough time getting the gun in the right place every time.

And by yet another comparison, the "gun down" guys (oly skeet et al) hav ethe butt pad/stock jsut slightly below or at their armpit and it onlyhas to go 5 or 6" to be placed properly. Adn too, those shooters do not have time to "chunk" their face down on the comb. The gun comes up to the face.

·
Vendor
19,355 Posts
The place to learn this is in front of a mirror or big window. do it 100 times and it will be part of you forever. Make sure your eyes are horizontal as mine are. I am leaving the pics up.

For those of you that watch some of my posts, you know htat I am in the throes of having double cataract surgery. Left eye was last Monday, right eye (my bbl eye) is early AM tomorrow. Seeing well out of my left eye.

·
Registered
20,145 Posts
Good information Jack. Friend had double cataract done a few years ago and at the same time they replaced lenses with fully corrected his astigmatism. He opted for both eyes far vision so uses 'cheaters' to read sometimes but at 80+ years he is on top of the shooting game. AA singles and doubles.

Hope things work out as well for you.

Don T.

·
Vendor
19,355 Posts
Go to the Negrini Website and look at the Zoli shooter addressing Oly Skeet. Head turned in, and butt pad only has to move 6".

·
Vendor
19,355 Posts
Thanks Don. I opted for the flexible "Crystalens". designed to give me great vision at distance and marginal clarity close up. So far, I can tell you that my left eye vision matches the exact prescription in all of my left lenses. I put on my glasses(any) and my left eye is perfect. Without glasses I can see the window panes on the house a half mile away across the river. Too, I can tell you that my house inside looked like a "smoker's house". Dingy and I thought that was the real thing. No, we are back to colors, and white walls. Quite a difference.

My cataracts began in the late 90s. Advanced slowly till about 3 years ago. This past Dec 24th I wnet into my eye doc and I could nto read anything on the chart. NOt even the top line. I could barely using both eyes, but not individually.

I'll probably opt to leave my left eye as is because I see perfectly at computer distance and read a newspaper easily too. Will be interesting to see how my shootin eye turns out. I'm signed up for Lasik touch up on both eyes.

·
Vendor
2,097 Posts
Phil,

I agree with Ross, a concave pad is best for repeatable positioning of the gun to your shoulder. Many times with a concave pad, the pitch of the gun will be too flat and need to be changed.

If there is not the right amount of down pitch, the toe of the pad will dig in to the chest muscle or the gun will recoil up causing cheek slap.

Don

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, Jack, and best wishes on your eye surgery. I tried Gooey pads in the past and had a little trouble finding the consistent sweet spot in my shoulder pocket. I gave up on them mainly because of the rapid wear out and break down thing. I am very happy with KickEEZ Modified Trap Pads. I don't quite understand the connection between the Harlan gun mount and the Rocker Pad ??

·
Registered
687 Posts
I recently installed a modified trap (kick-ezz) I really like it, for some reason it mounts much better than the regular kick-ezz trap pad.

·
Vendor
19,355 Posts
Mike. Only that if you mount the gun repetitively and correctly, it does not matter what pad you use.

I use Kickeze too. Flat or sporting or modified trap. usually I shape the pad to suit my shoulder pocket to eliminate chafing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts