Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed it down to 2. The Champion Wheelybird, and the Do All White Wing. Of the 2 the Champion Wheelybird gets better overall reviews, (84%, 5 star on Amazon). As opposed to only 54%, 5 star for the Do All White Wing. Cabela's has the Wheelybird in stock for $279.95, and I have a, "$20.00 off on a purchase of $100.00 or more", coupon which would bring it down to $259.95. Not a bad price at all. And Cabela's is just right down the street from me.

Does anyone have one? My gun club doesn't have a trap range, just a couple of manual throwers that are too difficult for my wife to operate. So I'm thinking one of these is just the ticket for some informal clay shooting. They'll throw a target 55 to 80 yards, depending who you ask. I can pick up a new 12 volt car type battery for $48.00 at Wal-Mart that puts out plenty of juice to run it. And I'll get one of those "Battery Tenders" to keep it fully charged in the garage. I was just wondering if anyone here has either one, and what kind of luck or problems you've had with it?

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I'm sorry I'm unable to help you with your machine choice.

I would like to comment on your choice of batteries...consider a deep cycle battery as they are a better choice for your application. They are designed to be recharged many times where the standard battery is not. I speak from experience as another member and I are in charge of our clubs 5-stand which uses battery powered traps.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I have a wheely Bird,

It has always thrown targets well, Nothing real fancy about it,
But ok for the $$$

DGH

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to comment on your choice of batteries...consider a deep cycle battery as they are a better choice for your application. They are designed to be recharged many times where the standard battery is not. I speak from experience as another member and I are in charge of our clubs 5-stand which uses battery powered traps.
An expensive deep cycle battery is not necessary with these things. They will get up to 3,000 targets thrown off a single charge. So going out and shooting 200 or so targets isn't going to run down the battery much at all. Most likely not much more than trying to start a big V-8 in the Winter, if that. The spring powers the trap. All the battery does is cock the thrower. I'm looking at this one from Wal-Mart for $48.88. 650 Cold Cranking Amps is way more capacity than is required. And when I get home I'll just throw it back on the Battery Tender, and I'll be ready for the next time. A gun club throws far more targets, and perhaps then I could understand wanting a bigger capacity deep cycle model.

ValuePower VP-65 Battery - Walmart.com

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I created a 50' extension and leave battery in vehicle,,

Not sure if that would work in your situation,

And yes its a little chain driven 12v motor that recocks it.

DGH

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I created a 50' extension and leave battery in vehicle,,

Not sure if that would work in your situation,

And yes its a little chain driven 12v motor that recocks it.

DGH
That would work. I didn't know you could have such a long extension and not loose too much power. What type of wire, (cord), did you use? The machine only gives you a few feet.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just bought one at Cabela's. As it turned out it was the last one they had. I just finished putting it together. I got a new 650 cold cranking amp battery from Wal-Mart for $48.88. Plus they nailed me for another $13.00 because I didn't have a core to exchange. I also bought one of those "Battery Tender Junior's". New batteries discharge depending how long they sit on the shelf. This will charge it at a rate of 3/4 of an amp, (750 milliamps), until it's fully charged. Then it keeps it fully charged as needed. Whenever I go, I know the battery will be fully charged and ready to go.

I have to say it went together pretty effortlessly. Once the battery is up to snuff I'll take it out back and see if it runs O.K. It seems pretty straight forward. I'll have to pick up a box of clay targets today or tomorrow. Hopefully next week I'll get out to the range and fire it up. It's supposed to rain here tonight and tomorrow, so we'll see. I'm going to go to Harbor Freight and pick up an extension cord. I'm also going to look for a couple of better wheels for it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had a Champion Wheelybird for a while. Only issue with it was that the nylon fingers that held the clay in place prior to being launched wore out in a couple of months of heavy use. Changing them out was a bit of a chore. Other than that the unit performed fine. I have since replaced it with a Promatic Superhawk.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My repair was to use some 20 or 30 lb fishing line, cut to length, as a replacement for the fingers. Pretty self explanatory when the unit is disassembled. If disassembling make note of how the spacers are used. You'll see what I mean upon dis-assembly.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have a WheelyBird and it works fine. I wish it had some type of wobble or oscillate. A friend of mine also has a Wheelybird and he got a DoALL wobble attachment and made it fit his Wheelybird with a little work. It works ok but is kind of clunky. Basically only throwing high or low targets and not much in between. You can use just about any battery including a lawn mower battery. I will have to try making an extension cord so it can be hooked to the car battery.

I thought that they also sold the wheelybird at some Wal-Mart stores.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts