Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80...
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for a new all in one printer for home use. Looking for some comments on models you own . I had a brother all in one for quite some years.. it finally crapped out. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
264 Posts
They are all cheap to buy, but they get you on the comeback. Ink is crazy expensive. You can buy one at Costco and get the ink cartridges there too. They will refill for you there at Costco for around $8.00 if I remember right. I have an HP and am happy with it. I have it synched up with my Macbook Pro and can print without a cable. That is nice. Most all in ones now do not have a fax function, since most folks send stuff attached to an email. Scan to your computer and attach to an email address, voila! Enjoy your new toy. Pete

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
Do you really need the color printing??

If not, pick up a laser printer - typically 2,500 to 5,000 pages before needing a new cartridge (they usually run 50 ~ 75 bucks). These can be bought network ready, so plug them into your router NOT your computer, and any machine in the house can print to it.

They can be had in printer/scanner/fax models as well.

Right now Brother and H-P make fairly nice ones...

·
Vendor
19,421 Posts
epson. 4530 or next model up. Pays for itslef in 2 years. uses 1/3 the amount of ink and is crisper than HP.. I bought the 4530 and they upgraded me thru the net to the latest model. Fast, much faster than HP. Interface and user understandable. Great unit. I use this unit a lot. for business et al. Scroll down to #4530. paid about 200 at Office max and never looked back. Just a terrific home office unit. Adn it pays for itself in ink usage in a year. Very stingy on ink. Prob uses less than 1/4 of the ink that a HP uses. I booted it up. (Put it into my system). 2 years now and jsut now alerting me to lower color levels. Still on my second black cartridge. (maybe 3rd, I do not recall exactly)

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/printers/WorkForce-business-printers/index.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
We just bought a copier/printed/scanner for next to nothing and it works beautifully. Canon I think. With rebates it was like 25 bucks. Amazing.
Bill

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
HP, on sale at Target, 25 bucks. Less than the cost of ink for my other one. Just goota keep your eyes open.

HM

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I have had an all-in-one printer-scanner-FAX machine for years and wanted a wireless one about a year ago. I bought an H-P OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus; it really works great and is stingy on ink usage, too. Being a semi office-quality machine, they are little more expensive than the typical residential printer but they are built to last longer and print faster, if that matters. H-P often offers $50 for any trade-in and that brought the cost down to almost what a residential unit sells for.

Ed

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dixie,

I agree with HSLDS. Buy a laser printer and forget about getting ripped off everytime you buy ink.

Dave, LI, NY

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
I have a brother 7360 laser. No need to buy a new toner cartridge They sell a refill toner for about 12 dollars and you need a gear kit the first time for about 5 bucks. It is scanner, fax and printer and works great. I think it was 100 dollars a couple of years ago. The problem with ink jet is if you do not use it the ink dries on the print head so if you do not need color I would say laser all the way. motordoc

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree that if you can deal with the laser that is the way to go. I just bought an HP 7525 from COSTCO. $109 with the rebate. I replaced a 6500 HP that just started to send an error code that the black cart was not installed correctly. They are noted for doing this when a small little plastic thingee breaks and can't be repaired. I will not buy the high end Hp all in ones. I actually bought two of these and when this one goes bad, I'll just switch it out. I plugged it into both of our MacBookPros and they self booted. After getting help from stepson, techie nerd, we now use it wirelessly and can even print from the iPads we have.

I am not saying anyone should buy this, but Consumers did have it as a redo and the price here in NJ was a plus. Interesting thing was that they charged tax on the whole amount and not the amount after rebate. Go figure.

Rich Kaplan- chemist

·
Registered
554 Posts
My wife and I bought a Kodak printer a few years ago. Scan/print/copy. Ink cartridges are substantially cheaper than any other maker, and available at local Staples.

Jim

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
definetly a laser printer. Much more efficient use of paper and toner and way quicker than an inkjet.

I have a Brother wireless (its not connected to any computer) and am very pleased with it. They are quiet too.

Even color laser printers are not especially pricey these days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts