Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lee primer that works fine except it is hard on the hand after a couple hundred loads. I looked at the Hornady model that looked better for $50. Any recommendations Thanks Ken

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
As far as easy on the hand, the bench mounted RCBS that uses primers in strips is the easiest to operate. I have the Hornady, and it is a little awkward for my taste, but the plier action handle gives good leverage. I also have the RCBS and the problem with that one is that in normal operation, you end up pointing it at your face to get the primers to feed out of the tray to the ram, I do not think that is a good idea and I have seen pictures on the internet of people who have burned their face when a primer popped in that unit. The new model Lee has an isolation feature that requires a primer to be lifted from the tray by one ram, to transfer it to the main ram. It seems like all I do with that one is shake it to try to make feed properly. The old style LEE is still the easiest to use. They do not make them any more but I have broken a couple of them, so I bought 6 extra used ones at gun shows, so I figure I have spare parts for the rest of my life. The automatic feeder on a Dillion progressive press eliminates hand primers, so that is my favorite.

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
I have two Lee hand-helds - they work OK, but I hate that you need special dies for holding the shells - just seams to be a poor design.

I have two of the RCBS hand-helds as well. These work really well - good feel for primer seating - use regular dies to hold the shells. I keep one set up for small primers - one for large. My only complaint is that when you change dies the handle can over extend and you need to get a prob inside to push the return spring up far enough so you can cycle the unit (only happens when you take it apart to change something, so it's not too bad).

·
Registered
647 Posts
I bought the Hornady thinking it was a good upgrade to my old Lee's. The Hornady gets little use and my pot metal Lee's just keep going.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
the old lee's were great! I also broke several of them. I've since gone to the primer die used on top of the rcbs rockchuker press it works well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have the two RCBS hand priming tools. The Universal one is great for small batches and the one the takes shellholders is best for big batches. I've done 1500 cases in a shift without much trouble. The Universal one is a little easier to squeeze but putting the case in takes a little more effort.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have a bunch of ways to prime cases. I have the early Lee tools which work well but are slow. I have an RCBS tool similar to the Lee tool but with a universal case holder and a primer tray attached. It is harder to use than the old Lee Tools. However the old Lee tools require Specialized Case Holders and are no longer made so you have to get lucky and find them in a box somewhere.

I recently bought an RCBS bench mounted tool. It is the original model NOT the one that uses the APS Strips but has a Vertical Aluminum Tube that feeds the tool. It is fast, uses normal shell holders, and is totally safe. It is by far the best method I have ever used. I can literally prime 50 rounds in about 3 minutes with absolutely no pain or anguish! The lever arm that activates the tool gives you enough leverage that you could literally stuff a large primer into a small hole. It is an absolute joy to use.

You fill the tube using any of your Vibrating Primer Tube Fillers while the tube is on the machine. Or you can push the primers up thru the plastic tip like loading Dillon Tubes. It comes with both large and small primer feed tubes and large and small primer insertion pins.

Change over is as simple as replacing the tube and the insertion pin and shell holder. Literally one minute.

So easy to use I wonder why I didn't buy one 20 years ago. Read the Reviews online about this tool. That's what sold me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/457599/rcbs-automatic-bench-priming-tool

Midway has them for $77.99 right now on sale. Buy one you won't regret it!

Randy

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
Many of the RCBS reloaders have the bench style primer tool built into them. They work exactly the same as the bench unit, and are very quick.

If I am bulk loading this is what I use, but for specialized rounds (think highly accurate rifle rounds) I like the 'feel' you get when setting the primers by hand.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
The RCBS that Buchanan posted above is the best one.

457599.jpg

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The Lee old style is the best of the 4 different ones I've used.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I have a bunch of ways to prime cases. I have the early Lee tools which work well but are slow. I have an RCBS tool similar to the Lee tool but with a universal case holder and a primer tray attached. It is harder to use than the old Lee Tools. However the old Lee tools require Specialized Case Holders and are no longer made so you have to get lucky and find them in a box somewhere.

I recently bought an RCBS bench mounted tool. It is the original model NOT the one that uses the APS Strips but has a Vertical Aluminum Tube that feeds the tool. It is fast, uses normal shell holders, and is totally safe. It is by far the best method I have ever used. I can literally prime 50 rounds in about 3 minutes with absolutely no pain or anguish! The lever arm that activates the tool gives you enough leverage that you could literally stuff a large primer into a small hole. It is an absolute joy to use.

You fill the tube using any of your Vibrating Primer Tube Fillers while the tube is on the machine. Or you can push the primers up thru the plastic tip like loading Dillon Tubes. It comes with both large and small primer feed tubes and large and small primer insertion pins.

Change over is as simple as replacing the tube and the insertion pin and shell holder. Literally one minute.

So easy to use I wonder why I didn't buy one 20 years ago. Read the Reviews online about this tool. That's what sold me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/457599/rcbs-automatic-bench-priming-tool

Midway has them for $77.99 right now on sale. Buy one you won't regret it!

Randy
I have one of those NIB to sell if you want another.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts