Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to reloading what are the top 3 or 4 hulls for reloading in the best order top down.

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
They all reload equally well; no one hull is better than another. The only differences come from longevity, meaning some hold up better through multiple reloadings. The hull is nothing more than a container for all the components and so long as none of the components leak out, it will get the job done.

·
Premium Member
11,558 Posts
Everybody will have an opinion on this. Mine is Winchester AACF hulls first, followed by Remington STS/Nitro and Winchester AAHS.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The Remington STS (and Nitro) in 12 ga and 20 ga I believe are the best currently manufactured hull. As a bonus, their Gun Club and American Clay & Field hulls use the same reload data. In 28 ga and .410 bore, Winchester gets the nod since they have a greater lifespan than Remington.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
1. No longer made Win AA Compression Formed, ie no base wad, if you can get/find them.
2. Rem Nitro/STS
3. Fed Gold Medal Plastic with no base wad.
4. Win AA 3rd Generation, AA not boxed or under lined.
5. Win AA 2nd Generation, AA under lined.
6. Rem Gun Club/Field and Clays
7. 1st Generation AA 2 piece boxed AA
8. Federal Top Gun/ Field loads, Steel based hulls..
9. Euro Trash.

Jason

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
New to reloading what are the top 3 or 4 hulls for reloading in the best order top down.
They all reload equally well; no one hull is better than another. The only differences come from longevity, meaning some hold up better through multiple reloadings. The hull is nothing more than a container for all the components and so long as none of the components leak out, it will get the job done.
I'll go out on a limb and disagree with Nebs. Not all hulls are created equal. In 12 ga, for instance, I prefer loading 8 point over 6 point crimps. Sure, you can get some fine looking 6 pt crimps, but the 8 pts are usually on a better quality hull. Also, I prefer actual brass heads, over steel heads, or even steel heads that have a brass wash or finish. Just me.

Also consider, the better quality hulls, according to me, usually have a smooth finish, where the cheaper hulls have a ribbed finish.

If loading subgauge, especially for 20 gauge tubes, brass hulls is the way to go. Steel heads, like Rem Gun Clubs, will often stick in the tubes, and not eject properly. This is due to the steel head expanding, and not springing back, like the brass heads do.

I'll bet even Nebs himself would say there are big differences in Hull quality when loading the 410. The Win AA is known to give the longest life, ie, most reloads per hull. And the Rem STS is known to have the most case volume, thus, greater amounts of powder and shot. (Meaning, loading to NSSA max allowable, and pushing it to 1300 fps.)

The Federal GM 410s got a very bad reputation years ago, when many guys were loading with Alliant 2400 powder, Thats what I used when I was a kid. And the Fed GM's would burn right off...or give a Zinger....with a whistling sound as the end of the hull spun its way down range. With newer powders like 300 MP, which produce lower pressures in 410, the Fed GM is a fine cartridge, if it meets your stack height requirements.

As a new reloader, you'll figure a lot of this out through trial and error....BUT NO.....All hulls are not created equal!!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
When you type best do you mean availability,cost,longevity,color choice,or some other factor.
I have to admit, while it is rare, I like it when I shoot the translucent hulls, and you can see the BBs inside! I like to look at them while loading them and wonder...."OK, which one of you guys is going to be first to hit the target!!??"

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
I have to admit, while it is rare, I like it when I shoot the translucent hulls, and you can see the BBs inside! I like to look at them while loading them and wonder...."OK, which one of you guys is going to be first to hit the target!!??"
Well, if you're going to bring aesthetics into it, there is only one answer: the iridescent Rem STS "greenhead." Coolest looking hull on the market today.

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and disagree with Nebs. Not all hulls are created equal. In 12 ga, for instance, I prefer loading 8 point over 6 point crimps. Sure, you can get some fine looking 6 pt crimps, but the 8 pts are usually on a better quality hull. Also, I prefer actual brass heads, over steel heads, or even steel heads that have a brass wash or finish. Just me.

Also consider, the better quality hulls, according to me, usually have a smooth finish, where the cheaper hulls have a ribbed finish.

If loading subgauge, especially for 20 gauge tubes, brass hulls is the way to go. Steel heads, like Rem Gun Clubs, will often stick in the tubes, and not eject properly. This is due to the steel head expanding, and not springing back, like the brass heads do.

I'll bet even Nebs himself would say there are big differences in Hull quality when loading the 410. The Win AA is known to give the longest life, ie, most reloads per hull. And the Rem STS is known to have the most case volume, thus, greater amounts of powder and shot. (Meaning, loading to NSSA max allowable, and pushing it to 1300 fps.)

The Federal GM 410s got a very bad reputation years ago, when many guys were loading with Alliant 2400 powder, Thats what I used when I was a kid. And the Fed GM's would burn right off...or give a Zinger....with a whistling sound as the end of the hull spun its way down range. With newer powders like 300 MP, which produce lower pressures in 410, the Fed GM is a fine cartridge, if it meets your stack height requirements.

As a new reloader, you'll figure a lot of this out through trial and error....BUT NO.....All hulls are not created equal!!
But, but, the OP only asked which was the best for reloading. He never asked about any of this other stuff. And my post acknowledged the longevity issue. My 12 ga. inventory is down to 3 types: Rem, Win AACF and Win AAHS. They all load equally well. I use the Rem hulls when I want to color code. Right now, the "greenheads" are loaded with 7/8 oz, Nitro 100 and a Purple Duster. What's on the loader right now is AAHS, Promo and DRA12 Bronze.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Well, if you're going to bring aesthetics into it, there is only one answer: the iridescent Rem STS "greenhead." Coolest looking hull on the market today.
Not sure I've seen it ....unless you are referring to the Remington "American Clay and Field" hulls.

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
Not sure I've seen it ....unless you are referring to the Remington "American Clay and Field" hulls.
Sure you have, the STS! It has that iridescent dark green plastic that, if the sun hits it just right, looks like the same color as the head of a drake mallard. There can be little doubt what look they were aiming for when they chose that color.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts