Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I just purchased a new used MX15 and an MX3. I was wondering what the best grease to use on them. Lots of people have differing opinions. I used a thick grease on my Brownings. STOS on my tm1, and I have Pro Gold for my chokes. I want to make sure I use the right stuff on these guns, as I intent to shoot them for many years. Thanks. Chris,

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I will offer a differing view. Grease only gathers grit and wears out parts if you don't bother to clean the stuff off after shooting :icon_rolleyes:

Grease offers much better protection to bearing surfaces than does oil. There is a term call Timken OK Load value that has become the standardized industry method to measure this type of protection.

Now, we are talking about trunnions in a shotgun and not a high speed bearing under great load....so almost any decent quality grease will do. In my view, STOS is a bit thin and when shooting in the summer I rather like a good thick grease like CMD grease that Kolar gives out with their shotguns.that will stay put....but any of the greases you mentioned will do just fine along with stuff like Krieghoff Gun Glide. I don't know anything about Pro Gold.

http://www.readytool.net/products/cmd-extreme-pressure-lube-3

However, if you want to save some money, just buy a good synthetic bearing grease from an auto parts store and put some in a small container or a syringe and this will work just fine.

The key is wipe the stuff off after shooting when you break the gun down, particularly if you shoot a sport like skeet or SC where in some cases you will be in the target dust fall area.

I expect a lot of responses that will argue against grease and cite somebody somewhere in Perazzi who says use oil, but the facts of lubricant characteristics are not unique to shotguns and lubricating bearing surfaces is exactly what you are doing. Good luck with your new guns.

·
Vendor
2,171 Posts
I don't think there is a "best" grease or oil for Perazzi (or other) shotguns. We are not talking high RPM or high load applications here.

But, I do think daily removal of the old oil or grease and application of new oil or grease will go a long way to make your gun operate better and last longer.

I prefer STOS as it doesn't run like oil and is light colored. I have some Mobil 1 synthetic grease, but don't use because it is a very red color.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: I was using Red Line assembly grease, boat trailer wheel bearing grease(Walmart) but they would stain your cloths if you get some on them. I have been using Super Lube synthetic grease and have been very happy with it. Does not stain cloths and stays put. Since it is almost clear you can see when it gets dirty. You can find it at Ace hardware and even Harbour Freight and some auto parts stores. I still use the wheel bearing grease from Walmart on my chokes and they never come loose with it and it keeps the water vapor out. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
CMD will run in hot weather. Gets hard in cold weather. I use Mystic JT-6. Timken load bearing grease. Have used it for yrs. Your gun will not gall with this product. Easily removed after each shooting session. 1lb.. will last a lifetime. Takes very little to cover hinge points. Tri-flow will run and get all over you and your clothes. The other option is lubriplate, excellent for shotguns.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Perazzi does recommend oil, yet they offer a private labled very black colored grease, so who knows......... If you want a Perazzi answer call Perazzi. Crisco seems to work best than most.

Surfer

·
Registered
557 Posts
EVERY new Perazzi gun I have purchased has had grease in the case, no oil! The grease has been either black or white with the Perazzi name on it, that said I do not use oil, stos works great as well as any synthetic such as Super Lube etc. The main object is to clean and re grease after every shooting session, your gun will last your lifetime! hope this helps incinerate em!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I have used STOS on both my BT99 and Broadway since new, absolutely no galling .

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Have used STOS for many years on my Perazzis and they are still like new. Like mentioned before, if you take care of your guns, you will wipe the oil or grease off of them after each time you shoot. Putting firearms away with oil or grease build up is not good. Wipe the barrels and receiver down with a little Clenzoil. This has served me well for many years.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
What Baron 23 said. Kolar supplies CMD lube with every new gun they sell. It's all I've ever used and with well over 150,000 round thru mine....no wear, no galling. I do clean the grease off after every use. I tend to trust Kolar's R & D when it comes to lubricants.

JMHO....

Kolar shooter since 2004.

Reactions: digger1dog

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I purchased a new MX15 a couple of years ago. Packed with the gun was a tube of......grease. I have heard that the Perazzi people advise using oil but then why pack a tube of grease with their new guns?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have "tested"grease on mower spindles from expensive to cheap. The ungreased bearings wore out, the greased bearings are still after 10 years at 14000 rpm are still spinning. The results are as follows. Cheap grease works, expensive grease works, NO grease fails every time!!

A tube of grease and a refillable container (syringe, jar, bottle, etc) is not as messy as throwing the tube(gun grease) in your case. You can pay a little or a lot. Keeping your gun clean and lubed is the secret, not the price.......merlyn

1 - 20 of 43 Posts