Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Years ago when I was on the 27, my favorite was Federal paper 3-1 1/8- 7 1/2. Now, non registered I like Rem Nitro sporting clays 1300fps 7 1/2. Bill

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Nuke,
The 27 yd line is sure not the fence where I shoot! But if you are looking for a long range "games" load that is "trap legal", many shooters like the Win Super Handicaps in 7 1/2 shot. Recoil can be a bit of an issue for some who shoot this load.
John

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I have always favored Remington Nitro's in the past, now however, that has changed for me. I noticed that while shooting Nitro's during the last year or so, they seemed to me to be inconsistent, and were kicking the snot out of me, much like the original Nitro's of the past when they first came out. I'm talking about the handicap shells, not the sporting clay shells. A friend used his chronograph to check the speeds and found them to range anywhere from 1220fps to over 1290fps, all from the same box. All this was bad enough, but, now, with the cost of Remington STS and Nitro's soaring, if I am going to shoot factory shells in competition from the 27yd. line, my shell of choice is Federal Gold Medal 3dr. 1 1/8oz. #8's. It doesn't get any better than those shells for long yardage handicap, in my opinion.... Add this to the fact that the Federals are usually cheaper to buy than the STS or Nitro's it's a no brainer for me....

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Silver bullets all the way. I love speed and the AA's give me that.

Word of caution don't use the sporting clays in ATA registered unless you want to get DQ'd.

Don

·
Sky Buster
4,170 Posts
Silver bullets all the way. I love speed and the AA's give me that.

Word of caution don't use the sporting clays in ATA registered unless you want to get DQ'd.

Don
I doubt if you will notice any difference shooting 3 dram 7.5"s from
any of the major manufacturer's.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I will respectfully have to disagree as well.... There can be, and often are, a lot of differences in which shell you shoot. I can definitely tell the difference between shooting the Remington's and the Federals for the reasons I stated above. I firmly believe a good shooter that shoots a lot can pretty quickly tell the difference which shell shoots the best for him, through his gun, not only by feel, but by the way the target breaks....... Oh yeah, graphs be damned...

Reactions: ric3677

·
Registered
398 Posts
Two factory loads I like above the rest are AASuperHandicap 1250 7.5s and Nitro 27 1oz 1290 7.5s. If it's windy or cold(below 60) I'll use the AAs, but any other day it's the Nitro 1oz. At 1290, they perform very well. JMO

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Remington Nitros (1235 fps 7.5s) pattern well in my gun at 45 yds as does my 3 dr. reloads. However, I am unable to see results differences in my scores whether using Nitros, Federal 3 dr 7.5s, or my reloads.

·
Registered
32,277 Posts
Even with the best fitting gun, I can tell the difference between even though I am told over and over again by many I can't....

Oh well, at least they don't hurt anymore.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I like the Fed. Gold Medal 2 3/4, 1 1/8 ,7 1/2 ' s myself. Best factory shell I've ever shot from any yardage.
Ken Rucker

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Silver bullets gets my vote. I decided this past year to shoot 7.5's only. Seems my gun likes them better and/or I have more confidence using the size shot. Works for me.

·
Banned
495 Posts
It's funny no one mentioned the STS light handicap load. It performs like a AA super handicap load, With a little less thump. I use either from the 27 yd. line, and have used the STS 8 for the second shot of doubles. Try 'em you will like them. Roger C.

·
Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
It's funny no one mentioned the STS light handicap load. It performs like a AA super handicap load, With a little less thump. I use either from the 27 yd. line, and have used the STS 8 for the second shot of doubles. Try 'em you will like them. Roger C.
I agree it has less thump, I disagree they perform the same.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've shot them all and like them all, but I have to give an edge to AA Silver Bullets. I also like being able to duplicate the factory load.

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
When money is on the line!!! From a 21 yard shot!, to a 80 yard 3rd shot Annie!!, nothing better than AA's!!! Pat's go to shell as well!!! RIP break em all. Jeff

1 - 20 of 39 Posts