Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if any are the real differences in 1100s?

I'm building up a project gun for everything everything except trap, and I have not bought a base gun or receiver yet. I have a wenig all American stock, and a couple of different barrels that I have picked up along the way.

Are the receivers or triggers any different/better for the ones marked Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays?

Is there an age or serial number range to look for or avoid?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The old Tournament Skeet seems to have been the best made factory 1100. It came with a gold trigger that set it apart from the other 1100s of its time. IMHO. jm

·
Registered
868 Posts
ANY OLDER SCROLLED RECEIVER SHOULD BE FINE. THE AMOUNT OF WEAR AND TEAR ON THE ONE YOU CHOOSE WILL BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE ORIGINAL APPLICATION. TRIGGERS ARE INTERCHANGEABLE AND YOU WILL PROBABLY WIND UP WITH A STEEL TIMNEY EVENTUALLY ANYWAY! AS A RULE...RECEIVERS FROM FIELD GUNS ARE LESS LIKELY TO BE
"WORN OUT" BUT THEY MAY HAVE MORE VISUAL ISSUES.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Whatever you do beware of the RAZOR SHARP edges of the interior rails of the reciever on any competion 1100 ! Be careful. Jeff

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, autoloaders have never been my thing before, but now that I have had a chance to shoot one that was well fitted, it seems like just the thing for sporting clays.

Mike

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
If you want a soft shooter, a trap barrel on a magnum receiver is the best. The reason is the magnum models have a heavier action sleeve. This is the large cylinder that moves back and forth on the magazine tube. The heavier magnum action sleeve dampens recoil a bit more, and the gun is a bit softer shooting.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian,

Will the mag action cycle with a 2 3/4" target barrel on it?

I don't mind drilling out the ports as this will mainly be a clay target gun.

Reliable cycling will be important.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
DOn't want to answer for Brian, But yes the mag 1100s will cycle with 2 3/4 barrels and target loads.

Jim

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
There are a lot of parts that have changed in the past 35 years, even though the basic design is the same. Things like the action bar, follower, extractor, bolt handle, barrel support, gas rings, to name just a few. Some interchange among all models, some don't. Though, I think the older guns were better, I might be inclined to get a newer model just for the parts availability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.