Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What color decot lenses is best for low light, dark background or cloudy days? Shooting mostly orange targets and trying to figure out what others are using. While were at it how about other colors for other circumstances? Thanks, PJ

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I live in north-central Florida, and the light here can be very intense, especially during the summer months. I wear single vision prescription Decots for all of my shooting, and have been using them for shotgun/tournament shooting for over 20 years. Because I also love to fish skinny salt water flats and creeks, My darkest pair are "Target Sun" colored lenses that have been polarized. I use these exclusively when fishing and while shooting under intense light. My "go-to" lens color for the greatest majority of my shooting are what they call "V-Lights". I have found these to work the best for me under almost all circumstances. I personally prefer the purple/red hues over the brown/yellow hues, but lens color is really a personal choice. For night shooting, I just use clear glass with no tint.

At the larger registered shoots, many vendors carry a wide assortment of lens colors. Try to look through as many different colored lenses as you can before you spend a lot of money on something that you find out later doesn't do the job for you.

Decot now sells a package that has frames and comes with a variety of lens colors of your choice all in a nice case. A friend of mine bought this "package" last year and he has been very pleased with them. This is after spending some ridiculous amounts of money for some of the other brands on the market. There are some manufactures out there that make a lot of claims and charge one heck of a lot of money for their glasses claiming that their products are superior to everybody else. Don't get caught up in all that hype.

Decot has been making shooting glasses for many years and they stand behind what they sell. I'm sure that you can find something that you will be pleased with in their line of glasses. They have always served me well.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I use a pink/red color for 99% of my gunning, works good except when its real bright, prefect for the conditions your referring to

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I should add my glasses are Randolph Engineering not Decot

·
Registered
225 Posts
My eyes are extreamely light sensitive, on dark cloudy days, I use Decots medium Purple, which works well for me.
Everyone eyes are different, you will just have to try different colors until you decide, which ones work best for you
Under different light conditions.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Vermillion was always my favorite but I use plain glass now - exclusively - unless it's really bright and the sun shines right into my eyes (then I use sun glasses).

I see absolutely no difference in my scores. Honestly, given your vision is corrected thru your glasses, have you really seen any significant increase in your bird breakage with all the colors used?

Guys here use purple, in various shades, but I don't see any signifcant score increases from them.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
What color decot lenses is best for low light, dark background or cloudy days? Shooting mostly orange targets and trying to figure out what others are using. While were at it how about other colors for other circumstances? Thanks, PJ
v-lights with blue blocker.
jack mc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts