Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a fixed choke full over modified over / under 18.7 bore.....need factory perazzi threads cut into them to accept their factory choke tubes.....who does this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
683 Posts
Having owned a few of Perazzi's including a couple with factory tubes.I think you will find this is a no go, because the guns with factory choke tubes are larger on the end of the barrel to accept the tubes. If you have threads cut in a normal barrel to accept a factory choke your barrel will be too thin.
Get Briley to fit their thin wall choke tubes and you will be very happy. I was.
Devonian.

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
Nobody, Perazzi barrels are swaged at the factory to accomidate their screw chokes, so it is impossible to add them aftermarket. Thinwalls are your only option, and your options are pretty much Briley, Wilkinson, or Teague, depending on how much you want to spend and what level of quality and quickness of turnaround you're after.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nobody, Perazzi barrels are swaged at the factory to accomidate their screw chokes, so it is impossible to add them aftermarket. Thinwalls are your only option, and your options are pretty much Briley, Wilkinson, or Teague, depending on how much you want to spend and what level of quality and quickness of turnaround you're after.
which of the three provides a higher caliber of choke?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wilkinson chokes are extremely close fitting to the barrel and the transition form the bore to the choke is a lot less on his chokes as well. His chokes are set up specifically for the gun they are fitted to and can be ordered in .005 increments. Tom has a reputation for precision and hopefully that precision translates into better patterns.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Briley if your gun is in the US. Teague if it's coming from GB.

Bought several Perazzis from Andrew Litt and had Nigel install his chokes while waiting for import approval. Rumor is that Teague used Briley blanks for a while but have no idea if true.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Don't waist your money, have someone like Kerry Allor fine tune what you have. You will be pleased with the results.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Perhaps I missed it but are they Perazzi barrels? If so, why not let Perazzi do what you want?

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
As with most things in shooting, everyone with experience has an opinion - and those opinions are generally good and based/founded in that individual's experiences. Very good answers have been given above and I can't disagree with any of them. In summary, IMO, you have 3 options. Before I tell you what I think those are, I will ask you a question, why do you want screw in chokes? If you want the gun for a multitude of shooting, maybe you could use screw in chokes, but maybe not. If you are going to use the gun for trap, I think fixed is OK. Now, IMO, here are your options, 1) (my personal choice) have someone like Tom Wilkinson tune the barrels and use them fixed, 2) have someone like Wilkinson or Briley, etc., install thin wall choke tubes, 2) leave it alone and enjoy it. If you are dead set on screw in tubes, thin walls are you option.
Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Have a fixed choke full over modified over / under 18.7 bore.....need factory perazzi threads cut into them to accept their factory choke tubes.....who does this?

Thanks in advance
Mac, if you're a trap shooter, why change? If a sporting shooter, use a spreader for close shots but if you just want the chokes, Giacomo, Wilkinson or Briley and go titanium thinwalls. A spreader will usually open up 2 constrictions so in your modified barrel you would have an IC.

·
Registered
132 Posts
R&D Custom Barrel Service. (562) 923-3608 or 877 894-3771
Bob Day is the only guy that's ever touched my guns.. This guy is very knowledgeable and VERY good.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
It would probably be cheaper to buy a set of used choke tubed barrels and sell yours.Pat
Absolutely! If you don't like it, flip it. Get what you want factory. No reason to ruin a perfectly good barrel.

Reactions: SpeedyWho
1 - 20 of 25 Posts