Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm soliciting opinions on what trap machine, for club use, is the best and most reliable.

blade819

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
The best is the old 1524X Winchester hand set but next best, especially for safety and long term labor economy is the Pat. Pat's the one I'd buy.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
GMV superstar is a great indestructible trap and the cold weather does not affect them like the Pat. I shoot at both and the GNV seems much more reliable

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
GMV Superstar. Unless you like hydraulic fluid and machines that have to warm up in the winter, then get a Pat Trap. HMB

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Pat Trap. We have 12 0f them here in Amarillo. Yes, you do have to let them warmup when it is really cold. Ours have been very dependable. Charlie

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
This has been brought up numerous times, and always the naysayers about the cold and pat traps. Altho, most of the time they are correct, I have to tell you about one of our pats. I always knew it was special, but I didn't know why.

The morning I decided to test it, it had gotten down to -20 over night, and we opened up Trap A which is the practice trap, let it warm up for 30 min, and went to shooting. Just before we closed up at around 1:30 it had warmed up to -15. I went out, opened the trap 1, turned the power on and walked back and plugged in one of our old pull cords, went back to the trap, turned it on, and walked back to the 27 yard line where the cord lay in the snow. Picked it up and threw a target. Most machines at that temp, would just keep throwing. Not this one.
I threw around 4 or 5 targets and it never dbled once. All this has taken maybe 5 minutes. I walk slow when I am cold. I still don't know why it's like it is, but I am not going to complain.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
When you couldn't put a kid in the house to set targets and pay him cash, clubs all over had to go to automatics.

At the time there were only 2: The Remington 4100 and the Winchester that sat on an oscillating base which moved the whole damn machine back and forth.

Suddenly everyone was trying to sell traps, Parker-Boss (huge and ugly), Ibis, Danlac, La Porte, Outers, ad infinitum. I believe in a 5 year period there were at least a dozen or more vying for the American club market.

There are about 4 left.

One is good for a million targets with no maintenance other than cleaning.

Pat.

Our whole area has a lot of places to shoot. Some have tried 3-4 different machines.

None of them has replaced Pat traps with any other brand. They have all replaced other brands with Pat machines.

It's not rocket science. Use what works.

HM

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
HM,

There is a club in MT that replaced the early Pats with GMV's They also bought our GMV's which, as you said, we replaced with Pats.

Scottie, my boy. You need to work more and type less. One of these days I may be packing your shells and gun for you so you can shoot. Ya just never know.

·
Registered
683 Posts
People have been telling me for about 6 years now that PSSA is getting rid of the Superstars, so far I have not seen them. We have a Superstar at our club for the past 11 years only one break down and it was a part they replaced for free. Over two thousand targets a week.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts