Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter shoots a Beretta 391 mobile. She shoots from the 16 yard. She has a Briley Mod. choke that was fitted to her barrel now. We patterned the gun at 32 yards with three different loads and found consistently 2-3 clay sized holes in the center of the pattern. I have heard that different chokes work better in certain guns. I don't want to buy a bunch of chokes to find a good one. I am thinking of switching to a LF or Full. Does anyone have any good experiences with a certain choke in a 391 mobile?

·
Registered
290 Posts
16 yard line I promise you a kicks choke light mod will destroy a target there want be anything left that not even a nat could land on it if you need one email me and I can handle it for you

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
a 16yd shooter?? Sorry to contradict those who say FULL (FooL) ..IMOd will throw the most consistant patterns and work from the back of the traphouse to the back fence..LF is just as good but really its just splitting hairs...I love shooting protection for money against the guys who shoot its gotta be F/XF or nothing..their hits are always spectacular and their misses extremely complete and clean and way more often ....by the way guys..the dinner your money bought last week was DEEEELICious ; )

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Willyz, a modified choke from a mobile choke barrel should smoke 16 yard targets?? I shot IM all the way to the back fence and hit targets hard. Briley makes as good or better a choke than others, so not sure what the issue would be. Patterns on paper are one thing the way a choke hits targets another. You could try IM but I doubt the .005 will make that much of a difference??

You could try a Kicks Smoke Modified, that should turn them inside out:0)

Bryce

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been told that different manufacturers chokes will perform differently in different guns, is this true. I am new to trap shooting but my daughter loves it. Like I said we patterned a Briley mod. that was matched to her barrel with holes in the pattern. She is consistently shooting 20-22. Thinking those holes could be why she hasn't shot better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could it be that the Briley mod. doesn't work well and another mod. would? We shot three different loads two of each. Estate, Fiocchi, and reloads. Pretty much same results.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: What loads are you using for her? A Briley light modified will work great at the 16 ayrd even with 7/8oz loads. I am going to try some 3/4oz loads in a couple of weeks to see how they do. My 15 year old son can smoke them with a Briley Spectrum extended modified choke. He even does very well with a Briley improved cylinder choke. These are all in a mobil barreled Beretta 391 and 682. Improved modified will work all the way back to the 27 with a mobil barrel. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
You do not miss targets by inches and 2-3 targets do not fly thru her pattern every round. There is no magic choke tube and Mod is a plenty form 16 yards. I will also tell you that the Kicks chokes are awesome from my pattern work and all I have shot since 1994. I would suggest a light mod in a Kicks from the 16 but mod will smoke them as well.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think the reason a couple of us keep mentioning Mobile Choke Barrels is because mobile choke guns throw tighter patterns as a given. I was playing with my 303 Mobile choke gun shot singles with a factory flush Mod. That mod crushed targets, now throw in a Kicks or CnC mod and you will vaporize them. Did you take pics of the patterns on the patterning board??

Bryce

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will see if I can post pics of the patterns when I get home from work. She is shooting 1oz loads.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I prefer the Briley light full. That is the choke that is in my wife's Beretta 391 with the Optima extended chokes. 1 oz or 1 1/8 they both crush singles and short yardage targets for her.

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
The two Mobil choke barrels I have pattern really well with stock chokes. That said, I like Wright in my Optimum barrels but Briley's are right there with them in effiency.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was using stock chokes until a gun smith measured and found the stock chokes to be over sized, which he said was pretty standard. He convinced me to have briley make one to fit that barrel. How important is it to have the choke matched to the barrel?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: The Briley chokes you have are some of the best made. Briley makes more chokes than all the others combined. I have learned alot when patterning my loads and chokes. I suggest you pattern your gun at 22, 30 and 40 yards to see where it is hitting. Patterning a shotgun is like sighting in a rifle. If you don't know where it hits at different distances you can't hit anything. Another thing to remember is that if you see some holes they may not mean anything since the target you are shooting is moving and the shot stream is not flat. I would stick with the mod choke you have and have someone look over your daughter shoulders to see why she missed. I do this all the time and the older great shooters here don't mind telling me why I missed the target. Most times for me is I looked at the gun. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

1 - 20 of 21 Posts