Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any travelers out there? I'm planning a trip from Ohio to western Montana later this year and need to change cell phone carriers as my coverage runs out about the western edge of Iowa. Which company has the most USA coverage? This is our first long trip in our motorhome and I'm more than a little paranoid about having some kind of break down and not being able to contact roadside assistance.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Probably Verizon. That said, I've had AT&T for about 10 years now. I traveled all over the US in a big truck and never had an issue with service where other providers didn't as well. We would travel in groups to job sites and seemed we either all had service or we didn't. Some cell phones themselves have better antennas than others which allows them to pick up and operate on weaker signals.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
In my exlerience, I would also stay away from the Iphones for the antenna issue, I use a Samsung S3 with great success.....also, ask your potential provider for a coverage map and roaming agreements with the smaller Mom&Pop providers you will find in the north and south west. I use T-mobile/MetroPCS, also with great success, had good voice and data from San Diego to Louisiana, couple years ago.

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
I have been using Consumer Cellular and have always had a signal and a lot of times it was when my buddies don't get any signal

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
US Cellular has an impressive coverage area through out the US.

·
Registered
606 Posts
We have traveled coast to coast and within Canada to the Mexican border with a Tracfone. Always had a signal and never had a dropped call. All that was with a cheap flip phone from Tracfone. If you are only going to make one trip get a $15.00 phone and a 90 minute card for $30.00 and give it a try.

ctreay

·
Registered
905 Posts
I go out west every year prairie dog hunting and my buddy's and I have all found out that Verizon is the best way to go less you have onstar.

Now if you go out with the guys and you don't want your wife calling you I would go with the other phone's but then you asking for a big problem when you get home..... believe me you will have a big problem! That's why I have a Verizon phone and onstar now.

Verizon is the safe way to go!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fished in WY and MT lots and the best is Verizon. No matter who you have there are many areas where no service by anyone (unless you have a satellite phone)is available.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I have had ATT for 15 years and no issues but I believe Verizon has passed them up. Stay out of Wyoming because I don't care who you have you will loose signal

·
Registered
905 Posts
There are parts of Wyoming and some of the toher states out that way you have to find a tall hill to set on top of to make calls. Thats what nice about having Onstar ...... but for just a plan old cell phone you can't bet a Verizon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts