Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get carbon burned onto the choke tubes and wondered what's the best cleaner to take the stuff off?

Thanks,

Chip

·
Registered
907 Posts
For me - Break Free and Scotch Brite pads. If the carbon is really heavy then I use my cordless drill. I cut the pads into strips about 3/4 inches wide and about two or three inches long and place it over a 20 or 28 ga bronze brush to clean a 12 ga choke tube. It'll clean up the worst carbon build up in just a few seconds. JPM

·
Registered
262 Posts
pick up some slip 2000 ewp oil. Clean the barrel with any good cleaning stuff. The 725 cleaner by slip is good, kroil is good, Remoil is OK. Hoppes is good. anyway, the slip oil coating, after the cleaning, will remove the "carbon" from the chokes, except it probably isn't carbon. It is most likely burned on plastic fouling from the plastic wads that partially melt going out of the choke tube. After a few times of treatment with the EWL, the plastic fouling comes off in one burnt plastic sheet with just 1 or 2 mops run through the bore. Easy Peasy. Try it, you will like it.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Slip 2000 choke & gas valve cleaner---let it soak for 15-20 minutes wash with hot water & spray with clp---like new

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
311 Posts
make your self some eds RED,mix in eql. parts---K1 kero.---ATF----min spirts---aceatone---this takes carbon from center fires. also u can add sometype oil,i use MARVEL,my buddy uses lanolin

·
Registered
494 Posts
I like Gunzilla. I have never had a problem with it damaging my gunstocks as someone mentioned in another post. In fact, on their own website it states "Gunzilla can be used to clean wood and plastic stocks; simply wipe them completely dry after cleaning."

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I use a 10 ga. brush on a cordless drill. I don't replace it very often since I realized the cleaning rod is far from balanced and as such wobbles sufficiently. It is now down to about a 20 ga. diameter. For over 30 years I've been satisfied with Hoppes #9, soft pipe cleaners, and a plastic pic and patch to get into the tight spots.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
This stuff is the best there is, if you can find any. It was sold by GM dealers when cars had carburetors. Corvette guys and bnechrest shooters crave it.

I got some by having a parts guy search it out. It's Top Engine Cleaner 105002.

KG-12 is good. The above link is the best article I have ever read on the subject. Test results and good reccomendations.

HM

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
SeaFoam Motor Treatment, and Top Engine Cleaner ingredients are almost identical. You can get SeaFoam at any auto store.

I, use the same thing as Mike, 50/50 Mineral Spirits and MMO.

Wayne

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
There is a liquid made for cleaning chokes called Choke Shine that a reader brought to my attention. I bought a bottle of it for another purpose and it does work.

Ed

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Top Engine Cleaner 105002. Is very good stuff and work well when I work for GM back in the 70's.
So did water. You just spray a mist over the carb and hold the throttle open. The carbon was gone.
Today if I have a carbon build up choke I just up it in hot water for a minuet and run a brass brush in the choke. The choke is clean.
I would water the cheapest why to go.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I have a few more to try, there are some food industry carbon removers, and there is also some stuff from Mercury Outboard in a spray can.

The food industry stuff might be a little tuff on guns.

For the record, I had a piston from a snowblower engine I used for a test bed. I put a couple well known gun potions on it, and the Tec 1005002 too.

Results were minimal with the gun potions, but the TEC part softened up the carbon to the point a brisk rub with a paper towel exposed the machined aluminum surface of the piston very nicely.

My primary use is taking the carbon out of rifle barrels, and I have found that even after you remove the copper fouling, a goodly amount of carbon can remain in the bore.

A few soak and patch sessions is an eye opener, patches and juice come out black the first couple times.

And do clean rifles shoot better? Yes, after a couple shots to lay down just a little fouling in the pores.

HM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts