Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some Perazzi wise-apple on this site says I should shoot only brass hulled shells in my P-guns.

I need to stock up on some light 8's for practice and singles. What brand would you recommend on the lower end of the price spectrum?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
You have three choices of brass cased shells.

Winchester AA

Remington STS

Federal Gold Medal

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Fewer companies are making shells with brass hulls. Some that look like brass hulls are brass coated steel hulls. There may be some additional wear over hundreds of thousands of round, but your savings using cheaper shells will be enough to buy a new gun.

·
Banned
890 Posts
I use the cheapest ones I can find at my gun club.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Grntitan pretty much summed it up.
At least at Walmart the cost is only about $2 a box more than decent cheapos.
BTW, when you shoot those premium shells, send me the empties
I'll be glad to recycle them for you. :)
George

·
Registered
715 Posts
I use new Estate shells in my Perrazi's for practice. I have never had a problem with them. A buddy of mine reloads the Estate hull and occasionally he will have one stick in the chamber.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Could certainly make a difference on longevity of ejectors or even ejecting at all with some guns. But it also makes a difference if you reload. My PW progressive does not like steel based hulls in the last finished/eject die. All brass based hulls just squirt out. Once fired Estates loaded very nice but I gave up on them 3 yrs. ago because of the steel base.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
So how are you gonna get around the steel primer running down your breech face?All the primers in those premium brass based shells are steel.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Pulling the handle for a base resizing takes a tad more effort and some tight or rough gun chambers may not release an expanded case as smoothly with steel vs brass. Those issues aside, is there any real evidence that a steady diet of steel causes acellerated gun wear compared to brass?
Yes it will. In the case of Perazzi's, depends on era of production. It varies with manufacturer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Last year I took my KS-5 Special into Kreighoff at the Cardinal Center to fix some ejection springs. I had stopped shooting in 2004 and started again in 2015 and ran into some issues with ejecting shells. They did replace the ejection springs which fixed the ejection issues but also informed me I had a slight ring in the chamber and said it must be from shooting reloads. I had not noticed it before until they mentioned it. I did not ask why they felt it was due to reloads. In the years 2004 and earlier, I had mainly shot new shells with brass hulls or Remington STS reloads. In 2015 I had shot some Winchester steel case shells but not more than 500. So I do not know if that ring was there back in 2004 or started to develop in 2015.

·
Registered
10,196 Posts
Brass its better for all sorts of reason's. But ya need to reload to reap the rewards. That's why many shooters still reload today. Its not all about the cost savings anymore. Its about still being able to use Brass based shells and still save enough money to make it worth while. Excessive breech face wear and broken/damaged ejectors are part of it. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
632 Posts
Nearly all European shells are steel hull. Perazzi know this and they design their guns to function accordingly. I shoot steel hull Ammo in my SCO so don't worry.

T

·
Registered
638 Posts
I like the Federal Gold Medal plastic hulls. One can reload them with one ounce for 16 yard targets and 1 1/8 ounce for handicap and games. Buy the Downrange Federal GM clone wads with the eight petal shot cup and start winning...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts