Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a great book/DVD to get us starting in reloading again. (It's been 30 years since anyone in our family has reloaded) So what we knew back then is outdated or just lost somewhere in our minds! LOL We will be loading 12ga with a pacific/hornady 366 if anyone has some suggestions on books, DVD, website, or personally experience I would thank you so much! We will be killing clays with our loads.
Thank you! Michelle
East side of Houston, Texas

·
Registered
222 Posts
You tube has lots of visual info on how to use your loader. Use the powder companies website for appropriate powder charge weights.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Smartest thing I ever did regarding reloading was to find a guy who reloads using the press I was getting, and I sat behind him and watched while he loaded about 100 shells.

I am assuming you know about the Powder manufacturers web sites where you can get your reloading data, and that you know you need a scale.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
If you do not have the manual that came with the 366, call Hornady and ask for one. If your loader is the one from 30 years ago, there have been a number of upgrades introduced over the past years. You may want to consider installing them. If you have a new 366 then read the manual thoroughly. There are also a number of informative books and videos. Take a quick look at one or two of the major gun stores (inperson and/or online) and check out their offerings. Also most powder manufacturers have free reloading manuals that offer a lot of info for the new (or long time away) reloader.

Here is a link to Hornady's site with manuals you can download.
Manuals

In the reloading books area. I have always found Lyman's shotgun book to be pretty good but I have not purchased their most recent. RCBS also has a book out on shotgun reloadng but I have not seen it. There is another book from some lesser known author, but I can't recall the name, that really was not worth it to me. If I run across it I will pass that info on. What ever you buy make sure that it has been published in within the last few years. Books from earlier years (say pre-2007 or so) may not contain info using newer powders or other components.

Like is mentioned, GET A GOOD SCALE!!! Do not rely on the bushings charts for powder weights. They are only a best approximation but, like anything mechanical, you could get one that was bad but missed by quality control. The advice to make contact with someone who has been reloading successfully for a few years, especially using the same model press as yours, is good advice. Seeing and doing is much better than watching and reading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts