Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the wife and my work we don't travel out of ND very often for anything not kid related. This next year 2021 I'm going to try to convince her to take a Mini vacation without kids. I was thinking of going to the grand in August, but thought it might be to hot for me. So that made me decided on either the autumn or spring grand in Tucson. I would shoot for a couple days, check out venders, and BS with other trap shooters. She said she would be happy, just being a little warmer and not have to have to work. the kids won't be coming with with; as they will stay with grandma and grandpa. Are there any other shoots that I should consider? I would be flying there and renting a car. Looking at a total of 5 to 6 days with one day travel on each end. Not looking for any place to hot 80 would be about the hottest I would want to go to and 70 to 75 would be perfect. Would like a shoot that is easy to find with hotels within 20 minutes of the shoot. A place with good restaurants relatively close to the shooting and hotels. Looking to travel from November to March.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
The Southern Grand is usually in March
It's at the Silver Dollar in Odessa Fla.
You could possibly fly into Tampa which is 30 minutes or so from the shoot.
The club has Trap ,Golf and many permanent residents . It is a unique place and I'm certain you would enjoy it and wouldn't be hot weather there .
Henry

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tucson has every thing your looking for. Autumn Grand usually has great weather. Spring Grand draws more shooters. The facilities at Tucson are second to none. I make the Autumn Grand my annual trip and I’m from New England. We fly into Phoenix rent a vehicle and drive down to Tucson

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,243 Posts
Tucson as others have said, San Antonio in April or Mason, MI for the Great Lakes grand in May are all great options and most fit the bill. The first two will have more vendors, but mason is a great place to shoot. Lansing is not far and has good food and attractions. You might be a bit over 80 at mason in May, but not usually. You will have rain. Can fly into Chicago or Detroit and take a short drive in the rental.

Edit: missed the last line about Nov-March.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Arizona state shoot is another good one, usually third week in March.
Probably either in Phoenix or Tucson.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Based on the OP's preferred time of year, temps, available vendors, etc sounds like the Spring Grand in Tucson would be a very good option.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I agree with dws. If you want to check out vendors the Spring Grand is much better than the Autumn Grand.
Not may vendors at the Autumn Grand. Also the Spring Grand is a bigger shoot, with more shooters.

Jason

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Grand is great, but due to location I wouldn’t call it a “vacation” for anyone but the Shooter. Lots of shooting related vending, great place to shoot etc. Once off the property, things start to go downhill a little. A few ok restraunts, nice little towns, but limited entertainment. It will be hot, usually at least upper 90’s a few days.

If I was going to combine “vacation” especially with family. I’d look at the Southwest Grand in San Antonio or Southern Grand in Florida. I’ve never been to Arizona.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Last year it snowed during the Spring Grand in Tucson. Yes, it was an uncommon event, but February in Tucson can have spats of 3 or 4 cold days in a row. The Spring Grand is this week and the high temps will be around 70 degrees unless a cold snap moves in, which is not in the forecast for this year. The Autumn Grand has summer like weather in the 80's. I think the real issue is that you may need the break from ND wether more in February than you do in November.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
How about the Missouri Fall Hdcp ? Great shoot . Lot`s of hdcp targets . Many things to do close by . Great places to eat close by . Close to Branson . Easy access from all directions .Great people .Hell even I`ll be there . Cold beer and lot`s of spellbinding stories after the day`s shooting .

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
The Pennsylvania State Shoot provides 9 days of shooting in mid-June and with 2,700 targets thrown. It's rich in AA points and provides 12 Banks +a bank of practice traps. Also, there's a shootoff for a Kreighoff Comp Combo with two random #'s drawn and matching scores go to the line & shoot from the ATA yardage that they shot in the event.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts