Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching some news from Kenosha, Wisconsin and I learned a valuable lesson. A sling for your AR is not just a tacticool accessory, but also an essential piece of equipment for weapon retention when things get up close and personal. Since I don't own a sling for an AR, what type is best and what brand and model?

It looks like a single point sling worked well enough in Kenosha, but perhaps a 2 point or 3 point method would be better for riot situations?

·
Super Moderator
5,301 Posts
For most situations, you do not want a single point sling.

Most people recommend a Vickers Tactical sling.

Or a Viking Tactics sling;

I like Armageddon Gear's Precision Rifle Sling.

Here's John Lovell's take on slings:

(John is a former Army Ranger with multiple deployments in 2nd Ranger Battalion)

ETA: Larry Vickers (Vickers Tactical) and Kyle Lamb (Viking Tactics) are both former Delta Force.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Vickers Tactical Sling is my GoTo, a single point is the wrong choice for most situations and does not give you the ability to pull the AR tight to your body in front or back when you need both hands to preform a task.

A single point sling will end up getting the family jewels whacked should you need to go for your sidearm.

I have mine mounted with quick release attachments and use the rear of the stock and just in front of the receiver.

I'm sure there are other good two points but I have no experience with any others.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Blue Force Gear (Vickers) slings www.blueforcegear.com or Savvy Sniper slings www.savvysniper.com. Two point unless you plan on entering/exiting a vehicle all day everyday. I’ve used both extensively. They have my stamp of approval.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I forgot to mention that with many brand (usually custom makers) slings, including the two I mentioned above, you can order them with a QD single point adapter built into the sling. You just pop the forward QD and plug it into the adapter (forward of the rear QD) and you now have a single point. I rarely use the single point as I run a X95 bullpup and it’s short overall length allows for high maneuverability in confined spaces with a two point configuration. Someone using a longer platform might find the single point option useful. Short version...why settle for one set-up? Options are good.

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
I like a three point sling. Way comfortable and easy to move & shoot and also transition to handgun if needed. Fits over heavy coat or large ballistic vest also.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Unlike guns and ammo, the slings mentioned above are all in stock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts