Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
I was cleaning out my basement the other evening and found probably the worst prize I ever won in a trapshooting competition. I had won a singles event and Vic Reinder's handed me the top prize which was a wooden stick with what looked like a black plastic garbage bag attached to it?

I asked Vic what was it? He said people use these for hunting Ducks or Geese as I can not remember which one? Another time, I won 4 clear glasses with no etching on them, just plain old kitchen glasses that you can purchase at Walmart.

Best prize I ever won, a Mec Grabber reloading machine.

What was your best and worst prize you ever won in trapshooting not including cash?

Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Best- Remington 1100 Premier Sporting (the nickle plated one w/ "gold inlays" which is a $1400+ gun) and a check for $875 (CH got $1k, RU for $750, we split before the shootoff and got $875/ea, and I went on to win). Both together for one event.

Worst- Probably the clear acrylic trophies our state shoot gave out a for a while some years ago. A 1" thick acrylic trapezoid on a pressboard "wood" base, sand-blast engraved with what you won. Couldn't have been more than 5c worth of materials in the whole thing. I had a bunch, kept a few of the meaningful ones and tossed a dozen or more in the dumpster a few years ago. I always threatened to make a stock spacer out of one of them, but never ended up having the need to follow through.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Best was at a big 200-bird handicap shoot...a refrigerator/freezer and enough money to pay for my Grand trip soon after. (lost out tieing for the four-speed Chevy Super Sport by one bird) Also, like Steve, I won a MEC reloader in another handicap.

I recall as a kid winning some little event and won a dandy fishing rod and reel. That was exciting at the time. I think I was 14 and had just started shooting.

Worst: Lots of little trinkets, but I've been lucky, most were relatively useful as paperweights...for about a week :)

·
Premium Member
12,482 Posts
Best was shooting related but not shooting. I stopped into the gunsmiths to pick up a gun I was having repaired and on the counter was a book of chances to benefit breast cancer research. At $20 I thought well it's a good cause and I bought one. About a month later ,I had forgotten all about the ticket,I received a call from the seller and was notified that I won a new Blaser F3 combo with upgraded wood.
Worst a pewter clay bird. Bulge.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have all won some really nice prizes. I remember in the early 70's one club near me had a Ford Pinto or Maverick they were shooting for. Cars bring out the shooters for sure as some came from surrounding states. I sure miss those shoots from the 70's as some clubs had some really nice prizes one could win.

Recently, I was in my friend's basement and one corner was filled with prizes he had won since the early 60's as they were all unopened toasters, waffle makers, blenders etc.

Does any one recall if the Grand in Ohio ever had a car you could shoot for or had a car in the auction?

Steve

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
best: a brand new rem peerless skeet with a briely tube set cased.....presented by mr. briley himself at an AFSA shoot.

worst: the peerless.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bobski:
If I ever won any time of firearm at a shoot I'd faint.
Steve

Short story:
An elderly friend of mine once won a Remington 1100 Tournament grade trap gun through a drawing at a gun club. He took the gun to his car and as he was going to take the gun a part and put it away one of the shooters asked him to shoulder the gun. He placed the gun on top of his trunk and quickly ran into the club to use the facilities.

He came back out and got into his car and drove off with the 1100 on the trunk of his car. Around a half a block away the gun fell off his car and broke the stock and damaged the barrel.
Steve

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
For shooting (sporting clays) - it was a case of The Famous Grouse whiskey.

I did win a rifle once in a raffle for one of the local firehouses - a Remington 7600 if I recall - I do not recall the caliber - I sold it 'as new' and bought something else.

·
Premium Member
6,804 Posts
Nicest was my first belt buckle. worst was a tray of dry fruit. Still have the buckle, ate the dry fruit.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
in 95 i won a set of kolar tubes at the AFSA match.
i pulled off a 100 straight in 20ga down at another AFSA shoot in savanna ga back in 96. back then it was tradition that remington supplied all the guns that were given to hoa. i got a 20ga tourn 1100. history is it was the last year an 1100 was given by AFSA. next year they gave out berettas.
over on the pistol side of things, i 'legged out' and made distinguished on the navy pistol team and won my 3rd M1 garand that was armory rebuilt to new condition.

96 was a good year for me.
then i retired. the party was over.

a lot of you rag me about not being active with ata during my day. i hope this will shed some light on that fact. it wasnt because i didnt enjoy trap, but my commitment to represent the navy both locally, interservice(ly) and nationally took a higher priority.
i was cleaning house with pistol and skeet skills while trap and rifle took back seat. rifle was a tuff field. i was up against the best of the best with the gear to support team. by the time i got enough cash into a race gun of my own, (4000.00 to be exact) it was too late. i ran out of navy and my eyes started to go. i can safely say i got my pistol years in...just in the knick of time. and keep in mind, all this shooting was done on ACTDU with the SEALS where with the beep of a pager, my CO could call me back. and he did once, at the virginia state shoot. i had to walk away from 1st place hoa when i had to withdraw w/o shooting the doubles event. i had it sewn up.....but the call to serve our country, won out.
so....there ya have it.
theres the worst prize i won............. a dnf.
lost the va state shoot for all you guys. lol. :>
iron sights arent as easy anymore. thus why shotguns have taken front seat now, with my renewed interest in trap.
hope this helps you guys who rag me over little or no ata interaction.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
plastic napkin holder (no napkins)..........cheap and cheesy at best.

Reactions: ArizStan

·
Registered
476 Posts
You have all won some really nice prizes. I remember in the early 70's one club near me had a Ford Pinto or Maverick they were shooting for. Cars bring out the shooters for sure as some came from surrounding states. I sure miss those shoots from the 70's as some clubs had some really nice prizes one could win.

Recently, I was in my friend's basement and one corner was filled with prizes he had won since the early 60's as they were all unopened toasters, waffle makers, blenders etc.

Does any one recall if the Grand in Ohio ever had a car you could shoot for or had a car in the auction?

Steve
I don't the remember exact years but 1 year they gave away a Oldsmobile and another year they gave away a Jeep to the grand winner. Probably back in the late 70's or early 80's.

Dave Berlet

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
An original NIB Model 12 in the early 90's, well after they had stopped making them.

It was presented to me by Arnold Riegger. Seems Arnold had a few put back.

Ajax

·
Registered
624 Posts
Best - My first shoot$55.00 + a punch.
2nd shoot will be the Grand. I want to win the HOA you folks talk about. Wonder what I'll win for that?? LOL

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Best --My first Grand trophy! Worst was probably the one I never GOT. Won my yd. group in the state shoot at the Silver Dollar a long time ago(mid nineties 95 or 96 can't remember which). I knew I had won but,they wouldn't release my trophy until after ALL the results which would have been way after dark. I had a 7 hour drive to NW FL and had to be at work in the early AM and daughter had to be in school. They said they wouldn't mail it. I said OK please hold it for me since I was coming back to a shoot a in a few weeks. When I got back the trophy was no where to be found. They let me know in" no uncertain terms" I should have waited and taken it with me. When I explained I couldn't at the time ,they told me that was MY problem and made it clear they didn't much care! I DID get the check but never the trophy which I had much rather had in the first place! :02:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Best Not shooting.... I won a 20' pontoon boat. Door prize at a boat show. Cost me about $2500.00 before I could get it into the water.....trailer, registration,taxes, coast guard reqs ,etc.

Best Shooting...Browning Gold Hunter 3 1/2 inch auto. Sporting Clays HOA at a VFD fund raiser. I also won a limited edition decoy from a local Carver at a DU sporting clays fundraiser.

Worst.....probably a cheap trophy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bobski:
Thank you for your service.
Steve

Some of you have won some very impressive prizes. I forgot to mention that another one of my worst prizes I ever won was a "Fruit cake" which I absolutely hate. I could have used it as a door stop. I have never heard of anyone who enjoys eating fruit cakes but they still keep on making them?????????????
Steve

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
For trap shooting?

Worst: A box of cigars. I don't smoke, and in fact never tried tobacco in any form. Gave them away.

Best: A nice, tasty, big smoked ham.

As for fruitcakes, send me your unwanted fruitcakes. I love'em.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Hello:
I was cleaning out my basement the other evening and found probably the worst prize I ever won in a trapshooting competition. I had won a singles event and Vic Reinder's handed me the top prize which was a wooden stick with what looked like a black plastic garbage bag attached to it?

I asked Vic what was it? He said people use these for hunting Ducks or Geese as I can not remember which one? Another time, I won 4 clear glasses with no etching on them, just plain old kitchen glasses that you can purchase at Walmart.

Best prize I ever won, a Mec Grabber reloading machine.

What was your best and worst prize you ever won in trapshooting not including cash?

Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin
my worst was a fly swatter decorated with a flower, my best was a win mod. 70 shooting an oilfield shoot. Gene sears supplied the guns for the shoot and he was the only one on the squad that didn't win one.

jack mc

1 - 20 of 55 Posts