Trapshooters Forum banner

Best advice for getting out of a “slump”

4454 Views 36 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  BB416
I used to be a 95%+ singles shooter at competitions and here recently I have been failing to break the 90% mark even. Is there something I can try to help me return back to old form? Any advice is welcomed
Reactions: blackandgold
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2,767 Posts
Shoot it out!

Shoot until you no longer can think about it. Unfortunately the shell situation may be a hindrance. That is where a Terry Jordan chart would come in handy. No recoil is the biggest factor to help you get a smooth move and trigger pull. If you have developed a flinch, you will absolutely find that out the first few reps.

If no chart, and unlimited shells and funds, shoot 100 straight practice with only time enough to reload.

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Slumps are a fact of life with most things, Golf, shooting etc, just have to keep at it and work your way through it, I found when my golf game went for crap I'd take a little break then hit the practice facility, work on the crappy part of my game until I got it back, shooting is much the same, shoot until it comes back and feels normal again

Reactions: blackandgold

· Registered
948 Posts
Probably some minor flaw in fundemantals or barrel awareness has crept in (common). Go over the most basic things in your mind (as if you were giving someone a lesson), or get an experience shooter or coach to watch you or film you, or borrow a shot cam. See if you can isolate your misses to a particular station or two.

· Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Close your gun before the shooter to your left shoots, look out/focus where you want to break your target--while looking take a deep cleansing breath, mount your gun as it's your turn (don't look down ever) -- Believe you will center the target......don't be a cry baby when you miss.

· Ya can't miss with a shotgun
3,181 Posts
Your posting this indicates you need to work on your mental game. You’ve done it before and know what it feels like.

If you think you can or can’t, you’re right.

Practice at home.... very detailed visualization of the entire shot process; the breeze, the sounds, the mount, slow motion target, smooth move, smoke ball..... do this every day..... detailed and exact, and feel the win. Focus hard on the process. Your scores will pop up quickly

· Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Painful fact but reality: the older you are, the worse you'll shoot and improvement to past level difficult/impossible to achieve. That's why there are Senior & Veteran categories with deteriorating average definitions. Get used to it...it's over. Have a nice day and enjoy each one.(y)

· Registered
871 Posts
When was the last time you patterned your gun? Make sure it is still shooting where you are looking. I just broke out of a little slump. Mid-round, I mounted the gun and saw a sight picture that I was not seeing. It was the "light bulb" moment. Not shooting as much over the winter, complacency, I don't know - but basically I was mounting the gun slightly lower on my shoulder. This effectively raised my POI. Ensuring a proper mount - I broke 23, 23, 25 in a fairly stout wind last night at practice. Back to getting solid breaks.

Put the gun on paper, reinforce the sight picture you need to see, then focus on the target and get back to breaking good scores!

· Registered
6,610 Posts
Interesting thing about clay target shooting...

Seems that the harder you try to make it happen, the worse your scores get.

Instead, concentrate on visual focus, a clear mind and proper fundamentals. Relax, don't try to "make" it happen, just "let" it happen.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!
Are you HAVING FUN?
Without having fun one miss becomees to many and drags you down.

These voice release systems can lead to MOVING the gun before the bird is seen. Have someone hand pull for you a no pull where you're found moving in sesrch of a no bird at all can be a real eye opener.

But work on the basics all the while just being there to have fun.

Shooting trap only for good scores is a grind worse than the worst job you ever had! So relax and enjoy.

Al

Reactions: OldGoat

· Registered
3,700 Posts
I used to be a 95%+ singles shooter at competitions and here recently I have been failing to break the 90% mark even. Is there something I can try to help me return back to old form? Any advice is welcomed
I would go back to basics.
Foot placement, Gun mount, Hold point, Soft Focus, Key Phrase.
Make sure you are doing the little things right.
Don't worry about the scores they will come back.

Its All Good
West

· Registered
2,439 Posts
Close your gun before the shooter to your left shoots, look out/focus where you want to break your target--while looking take a deep cleansing breath, mount your gun as it's your turn (don't look down ever) -- Believe you will center the target......don't be a cry baby when you miss.
Do not close your gun when the shooter before you calls for his target or after he calls for his target. If you must close your gun early do it when the shooter two stations before you shoots his gun.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Do not close your gun when the shooter before you calls for his target or after he calls for his target. If you must close your gun early do it when the shooter two stations before you shoots his gun.
Did you miss the word -before- ?

· Registered
1,296 Posts
When I've found myself in a slump, it's usually because I've gotten lazy or just plain disregarded a fundamental somewhere. So I go back to the basics. Make sure you're looking down the rib correctly and adjust your comb if need be. (This was my problem recently since I've lost a good bit of weight and my cheek doesn't have as much natural padding, so my eye wasn't in line with the rib, but since you normally don't look directly at the rib, I wasn't noticing how bad it had gotten. Had to move my comb in and up.) Check your stance and get your feet positioned how you really like them. Make sure the gun is in your shoulder correctly. (This was another issue I had with weight loss.) Make sure your hold points and focus points are where you want them. Make sure you're not moving before you see the bird. (You can practice this by having a friend purposely slow-pull you.)

So just keep shooting, but make sure you're shooting the correct way.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.