Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 28 ga reloader. I have reloaded 12 ga. with both a single stage and progressive. I've also used single stage and progressive loaders for rifle and handgun. My question is what brand reloader do you recommend, and do you recommend the single or progressive for the 28 specifically? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Really depends on how many 28 gauge shells you shoot. I load on a Mec 600 Jr. and can keep myself in shells for as much as I shoot that gauge. Mark

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking at basing the decision on 200 rounds per weak. To my understanding some can load 100 rounds in an hour on a single stage. Is that accurate? I know that is not a bunch of shooting but plan to keep for the long haul and not upgrade at any point.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have and use a grabber in the 28 and 410 and they work great. Single stage would be too slow. I might consider selling my 28 if you are interested. I just upgraded to 9000s with an automate for my 12 and 20 and would do the same for the 28. PM me

Travis in NC

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sell the presses you currently have and get a PW 800 Plus. Get the conversions for all the gauges you want to load for. 12 & 20 gauge conversions run $250 and the 28 & 410 run $280. The PW with all the conversions take up A LOT LESS space than individual presses. I can do a caliber conversion in 8 - 12 minutes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a 28ga MEC 650 Progressive that I might sell for $170. I don't remember if it has the 100 or 200 primer tray. It's too cold to run outside tonight to check it. I also have a 650 20 ga that I might sell. I have replaced them with a Grabber and a 9000. You would pay shipping. I can send more details and pictures(have to find out how to do that) if you have an interest

PM me please.
Dick

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 600jr. or 700 Versa-Mec with a EZ-Prime automatic primer feed.
These single stage loaders are much faster and easier to use with the primer feed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Go mec progressive 1 pull of the handle 1 shell!! Get an 8567 model and you can index it by hand almost a quick as the 9000 does it automatically.$250.00 is fair price on a 8567 and $350.00 is going price on a 9000,used. It might take a little longer to find the 9000. reliable machines and great customer service. they can
diagnose problems usually over the phone.Either machine will do close to 100
shells in 10 minutes,Load a little shoot alot !!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm with Dean (above)....one stroke of the handle vs. six strokes per shell?? This is a real no-brainer from experience on my part. Don't get a MEC 650 because it lacks a sizer, go for a Grabber or if you feel wealthier, 9000 is fine. For 200 a week you'll last about a week or two with a single stage. Also a progressive is much easier to sell if you want to upgrade or just quit.

Larry

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use grabbers for 12ga & 20ga and 650s for 28ga and 410. My reason is that I find I don't need to resize my 28s or 410s except when I first purchase the once fired hulls. I use a supersizer for that. The 650s are lighter on the pull because you don't have all that resizing hardware and easier to keep clean. I need the grabber because I load 12ga in multiple guns so resizing is more important there. This is just been my experience. Joe

·
Registered
16,721 Posts
I prefer the Grabber to the 9000 in the small gauges, the little shells are a bit tippy and when the auto indexing pulls them around they might jerk and spill shot.

HM

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.