Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to reloading Remington STS and Winchester AA 1-1/8 oz. loads with Clays or Claydot Powder, what do think the best WAD for the money is?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Rem Figure 8 in an STS and a AA White in a AA. Factory originals. Not clones.

Jeff

·
Registered
228 Posts
Downrange Versalite wad in either hull with either powder just look for load data to support that combo. I use the versalite exclusively in the STS/Nitro 27 hull and I really like the combination. All the best.

J.F.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm a little partial to the GOLD DRA-12 Win clones.

Kevin from Downrange recommended I try them and I get a perfect crimp and nice pattern with these wads.

Also have used the DR Fig 8 clones with good success. I have heard others speak highly of the Versalites.

SW

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
I like the Win. AA Clones for my loads. Only way to get better might be the original from Winchester. I use them in both the STS or Win. AA's. Most copied wad in the world. There must be a reason for that!!! Break-em all. Jeff

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I'm with the majority......Factory wads in their respective cases. If your budget is that close just skip a night or two of shooting to keep it original.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
The best wad for MY money for a 11/8oz. load in just about any hull has to be the Versalite wad from Downrange. Buying factory wads just doesn't make any real sense to me since you can buy Downrange clones for a LOT less money and they will perform every bit as well as a factory wad will. No one, to my knowledge, has ever come on here with proof that any one wad performs, or patterns better, than any other wad does. I prefer the Versalite because I can use it in both a tapered wall and a straight wall hull, thereby eliminating the need for two or three different wads.... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Why use generic stuff? What a question when the DownRange "stuff" is better than the OEM's.....and cheaper too. I'm a versalite fan but have used the DR figure 8's and found lower pressures and higher velocities as well as ease of reloading. Forget the OEM's. Test them yourself and you'll see or call Kevin at Downrange re: testing. I love the Versalites but am leaning toward using more of the Spolar wads.......also made by Downrange.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Why use generic stuff? What a question when the DownRange "stuff" is better than the OEM's.....and cheaper too. I'm a versalite fan but have used the DR figure 8's and found lower pressures and higher velocities as well as ease of reloading. Forget the OEM's. Test them yourself and you'll see or call Kevin at Downrange re: testing. I love the Versalites but am leaning toward using more of the Spolar wads.......also made by Downrange.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I would use a wad that is specifically designed for the hull you are loading. If you are loading AA hulls, use either the factory AA wad or a clone of that wad. I have never been able to distinguish between the factory wads and clones of those wads from analyzing patterns or testing over a chronograph.

Pat Ireland

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.