Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this gun and find it extremely noisy(clanks) when firing...also it has to be the most prone firearm to powder residue internally that I have owned....any suggestions appreciated...
Thank you,

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Mine doesn't make an unusually loud sound for an auto. Yours may have a mechanical issue. I have replaced all of the springs in mine after 6 years of use.
I soak the cap and sleeve in mineral spirits . Every 5-10k rounds , I take the cap apart for a more thorough cleaning. Other than that, I just do the normal cleaning and wipe down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lou,
Thank you
This is a relatively new gun so I definitely think I need to have it looked at.
Do you find yours to be heavy on residue after firing a couple hundred rounds?

·
Registered
779 Posts
It's a gas gun. They can run a little bit dirty compared to an over under. The 391 is a good gun but has lots of moving parts. If you never shot one before you will notice some noise that will go way when you don't pay so close attention to it. It's the small price we pay for recoil reduction. Make sure the gun is cleaned and lubed properly.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Clay,
There is definitely residue present, but it is easily managed with the routine I mentioned. I forgot to mention earlier, you might check and see if the recoil buffer is in place . Some people have had issues with them failing. I replaced mine when I replaced the recoil spring. That could be causing the noise you describe.... It's an easy cheap fix. Cole's carries most of the parts for these guns.
I did an extensive review before I purchased it. A lot of shooters were using them in the Argentina dove hunts where several thousand rounds were fired between cleanings and this gun kept on working without any issues.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The 391 is a great gun. As for the noise, keep shooting it, after a while you won't notice any noise.

As someone else noted, the 391 end cap is a more critical component than people give it credit for. I always take mine off, and put it face down, press it down and make sure it has some "spring" to it. If it does not move at all, I would not shoot it that way.

Replace both the magazine tube spring and rear recoil spring on an annual basis is imperative to keeping it running (and cycling) as it should.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 391 is a great gun. As for the noise, keep shooting it, after a while you won't notice any noise.

As someone else noted, the 391 end cap is a more critical component than people give it credit for. I always take mine off, and put it face down, press it down and make sure it has some "spring" to it. If it does not move at all, I would not shoot it that way.

Replace both the magazine tube spring and rear recoil spring on an annual basis is imperative to keeping it running (and cycling) as it should.
Art,
I think that it is either the magazine or rear recoil spring that is making the noise. Since this is a relatively new gun, is it likely that either of these is defective?
I have though about shipping the gun back to Beretta to have them take a look at it as they have already replaced another defective part that was bad.
Thank you for your response...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Art,
I think that it is either the magazine or rear recoil spring that is making the noise. Since this is a relatively new gun, is it likely that either of these is defective?
I have though about shipping the gun back to Beretta to have them take a look at it as they have already replaced another defective part that was bad.
Thank you for your response...
Just replace both springs and establish some type of baseline with the gun to find out what's wrong.....or what's right. We are talking about $20 in spring parts here and they are easily replaced.

Also, check the connecting rod that plunges into the stock. Sometimes debris can get in the plunger assembly, could be a source of noise. Check it when you replace the springs and compress it manually, check for noise.

I would send the gun to Rich Cole first before sending back to Beretta. These guns are fairly simplistic and with a little bit of elbow grease, you should be able to ferret out the root cause of the problem. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just replace both springs and establish some type of baseline with the gun to find out what's wrong.....or what's right. We are talking about $20 in spring parts here and they are easily replaced.

Also, check the connecting rod that plunges into the stock. Sometimes debris can get in the plunger assembly, could be a source of noise. Check it when you replace the springs and compress it manually, check for noise.

I would send the gun to Rich Cole first before sending back to Beretta. These guns are fairly simplistic and with a little bit of elbow grease, you should be able to ferret out the root cause of the problem. Hope this helps?
Art,
Thank you for all of your advice. I appreciate the name of the Gunsmith also in case I cannot solve this.
All the best to you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts