Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently picked-up a Beretta Teknys, and of course the enamel inserts are missing, ...shocker :(
I did some research and these are available between $40-50 USD,...which means more than $300 Canadian with exchange, duties, shipping,...not going to pay that.
So I was contemplating using materials such as Carbon-Fiber, G10, or Black Delrin and cutting/shaping myself ( I'm leaning towards carbon-fibre, but unsure how easy it is to shape/cut) ....I'm looking for ideas that you good fellows may have....let me know.
Btw,...how do I remove that partial insert that is attached to the receiver. as shown in the picture.... Or, maybe leave the Beretta Logo in place and cut out hole in carbon-fiber.

Thanks
TK 03.jpeg

·
Registered
675 Posts
Not to change your plan of attack, but I would fill in the void with a high quality epoxy paint. If you cut/grind carbon fiber, wear a face mask and eye protection.
I would leave the logo button.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used a very close color match nail polish. Unless you can see both inserts at the same time, no one will know the difference.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you feel you want to make your own. You can buy carbon fiber in many different colors, it is similar to fiberglass matting, can be cut with scissors. Tape of the area you want to protect. Apply a release agent, like you get in a bedding kit for rifles,(accraglass). Then lay your carbon fiber in your stock, then mix up a clear (very important) 2 part epoxy. Apply the epoxy over the clothe. Let harden, and then remove from the depression with a exacto knife. Remove the release agent from stock and insert. Then you have a custom gun!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use Revlon Top Speed 730 Royal nail polish. It’s a very good match. The CVS cashier is going to look at you like you just bought a box of tampons, so don’t even bother trying to explain it to her.
Does " 730 " signify colour ?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll definitely consider it as an option,...for the gun that is ;)

730.jpg

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Stay away from carbon fiber. That's a good structural material for strengthening wood, but it's not intended for decoration. The carbon fiber design you see on gunstocks isn't really carbon fiber. It's usually vinyl or some other coating.
Carbon fiber is difficult to work with, hard to cut, and dangerous. The tiny fibers will be spread from cutting. They are sharp and if breathed in can damage your lungs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts