Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install an adjustable comb on a Beretta Silver Pigeon S that I just acquired. The stock on this gun has a high gloss finish. My question is, does anyone know which commerical finish will match this finish? Is the finish on this gun a oil base or water base finish?
Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
I did that. The high gloss exterior urethane from Menards does a great job. However; I found that the spray can is a much lower solid content, and does not fill the pores in the wood, even after multiple coats. I got the 1/2 pint of the same thing in a brush on, (use a good smaller artist brush)put two coats, sand lightly with the fine scotch brite pad, and then follow with a few coats of the spray on. Scotch brite between all coats, & wipe off dust with a rag & naphtha or tack rag. The dust will show as white specs in the finish. If the varnish on the stock was a fast dry, or had a sealer on it, the comb may look a little darker, because the new finish will soak in a little more. You may want to apply a compatible brush on sealer first, that will dry faster so the finish does not soak in and make it darker. Mine looks like factory. After it sets for a few days, you can buff it out with car wax.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Check to make sure the finish in not a rub on oil finish such as true oil before any varnish is put on. If it is, you can sand the comb with a 600 wet paper, & apply multiple coats of true oil to desired gloss.
If the finish gets dull when wiping with naphtha, it is a rub on oil finish.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If the finish is in good shape use some blue painters tape and tape your cut line and press on very firmly. Then cut with the finest wood band saw blade you can find with a slow feed rate but fast enough not to burn. After sanding cut smooth to 280 or so. Just peel off tape and finish cut area and set screw holes with 8 coats of gloss wipe on ploy. We did several this way and works and looks great. Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts