Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

i have just purchased a Beretta SO5 for trench shooting and now i need some advise from someone who knows SO,s
i showed a local stock maker the gun and he says that the screw just below the safety catch as u can see in the picture is loose and needs to be tightened up he says its the same screw that comes through from under neath the screw that is just behind the trigger guard, i took this screw out from behind the trigger guard and it is only about 1 inch long and doesnt look as tho it has been broken.to make it more confusing i looked at a freinds later model SO and his doesnt even have the screw exiting below the safety catch.if it is in fact supposed to be the one screw it would have to be on nearly 45 degree angle to line up. i looked up the exploded view of an SO5 and they only have 1 long screw with the thread only at the head where mine is short and all threaded. can someone please help me out here ?

·
Registered
911 Posts
The screw into the tang is located UNDER the trigger guard.

Take the guard off first (with the correct screwdriver or turnkey)

regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a heap Bruce em that worked a treat, makes u wonder why my buddies doesnt even have it, suppose hand made guns all different. few extra pics of the new baby.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Dan: I checked the guard screw arrangement on my S2 (1965) and it does not have the rear of the top tang drilled thru and threaded as on your SO5 although both are of the later 4/5 pin sidelock design. If in doubt about tightening the screw(s), any competent stockmaker or gunsmith can do this without danger of damaging the engraved screw heads and have the screw slots properly timed. The other option is to invest in a set of ground to fit turn screws for the gun and keep them cased with the gun. Good luck. bossbasl

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Man! talk about NICE! one of the finest pieces of mechanical and engineering craftsmanship out there on the trapfield...you're a lucky man

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
If you turn the front trigger guard screw and the screw behind the safety does not move, it should be a clue that they are not one and the same screw.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The SO series are as well made as any - anywhere, anytime. Yours used to the the SO4 'back when' before Beretta straightened out their offerings to make it easier to understand the rising value=higher number. Having said that The old SO2, SO3/SO5 (basically same gun but SO5 back in the 60's was the SO3EELL imported by Garcia and Abercrombie with a gold Crown on the top lever. The SO4 was introduced in the 70's as a no frills sidelock but the only difference is that the sideplates were less engraved. In the new order of the late 80's/90s it became the SO5 and the old SO3EELL was essentially the SO6...my memory not so great but I once owned Homer Clark's old SO3EELL set for a brief time before trading it back to Bob Williams... beautifully made shotgun but top barrel shot too high for me.

IIRC the #46 in the diagram is the primary structural screw attaching the upper tang to the Trigger block mount(?)(#58). It is hidden under the top Lever. Number 80 inserts into #58 from below and attaches to the rear of the upper tang behind the safety. I believe what you see is #80 and you have to take off the trigger guard to see the head of that screw. If you have not done so I would advise that you get three screw drivers specially ground by competent gunsmith for those screws and the side lock screws.

Both should be checked from time to time to ensure that there is no 'play' - otherwise you can look forward to $5K for a new stock.

·
Premium Member
12,308 Posts
Brownells sells a set of 'thin' bits that work with most European firearms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts