Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 20/28 guage combo. What are the opinions on the 687 Silver Pigeon III Sporting vs the Silver Pigeon I or II? Or any other Beretta O/U's for sporting clays? Cost is an issue. I am not up for Diamond Grades or the other real high dollar ones.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Silver Pigeon I, II, and III are all the same gun except for nicer engraving and wood. The mechanics, weight, balance, etc is identical. The 20/28 sporting combos are great with 30" barrels. Joel Etchens used to sell a nice SP II combo until the SP IIs were discontinued by Beretta. You can find one of these combos used for about $3000. Joel Etchens has recently been basing his new combo on the SP III with upgraded wood and engraving. If cost is an issue, I think the Silver Pigeon series from Beretta is an excellent choice for sporting clays regardless of guage. For the money they are tough to beat.

·
Registered
215 Posts
One last thought. I was looking to upgrade from my SP II 12ga and was seriously looking at the 687 EELL in the same ga and barrel length. A beautiful gun but I then came to my senses. My SP II was worth $2500 and I was going to spend almost three times that for basically the same gun. I opted to go another direction.

·
Premium Member
12,021 Posts
I had a chance to shoot both the Beretta SP (not sure which series it was) and a Caesar Guerini Summit Limited. Both were 20/28 combos.

I went with the C/G - two reasons.

1) the C/G has 32 inch barrels...

2) the C/G is the nicest handling shotgun I have ever used - bar none. The balance, swing - everything about it was perfect for me.

The two guns were both used (very gently used) and I paid about $1,000 less for the C/G

I have shot sporting clays with it (usually the 28 bore tubes) - and have turned in two or three of the highest scores I have ever carded with it (not sure if that speaks to the gun or my lousy shooting...).

NOTE - I own a 682 X-trap, a 687 S/C gun and my primary gun is a DT-10 - yes, I like Beretta shotguns...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts