Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the BERETTA S686 SPECIAL 12 GA a good gun to start with for shooting trap and other shooting sports. I have a couple questions.

What is the difference between this model and other 686's and would it have enough weight to it to shoot over 100 rounds a day still have a shoulder to shoot the next day?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
The one I had was a 28" field gun. I put on a mid bead, and disconnected the auto safety. It was a good general purpose gun.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
If it is a 28" barrel gun, it will work fine. I would shoot as light loads as you can buy or reload. I shoot 3/4 oz reloads for 12 gauge skeet.
Any all around gun will be a compromise. No gun will be best for trap and skeet.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I have 2 of these in 12ga. both have 28" bbls with mobil chokes. I believe that the "S" is for sporting. I bought a 20ga. bbl here on TS.com and had it fitted to one of them. I shoot skeet and sporting with them. At just over 7lbs, I shoot 7/8 and 1oz.loads and recoil is not an issue. 1300fps 1 1/8 sporting loads you will feel after a full round of sporting. They are flat rib guns with low comb butt stocks and shoot too flat for trap beyond the 20yd line. Very good, well built guns. I prefer them to my Silver Pigeon. I have shot back to back rounds of sporting and was not fatigued or sore from recoil. These guns shoot so well that if recoil was an issue, I would send them to Ken Rucker and have Bumpbusters installed. Just my 2 cents. Bill

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use one for Skeet and Trap, different barrel sets. The gun is a bit on the light side. Put a gra-coil on it and your golden.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Per Bill Hom: " I believe that the "S" is for sporting." I have the same gun, marked a "S686 Special". It has a narrow rib and no mid-bead and no marking of 'SPORTING' on the barrels. For these reasons, I must respectfully disagree. :bouncy:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
if your just out to have some fun then yeah its a great gun!! put some weight in stock whole and kick-eez pad or gooey.. don't worry about no mid-bead.. look at the clay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 686 Special came in different versions, I have in the past shot a 686 Special Skeet and a Trap model. It also came in a Sporting model with fixed or mobile chokes.
Essentially it is a 686 with upgraded engraving and better grade of wood. In my view the best part was they had the 682 barrel with the replaceable side lugs. Most had the fixed trigger but I have seen them with an adjustable trigger, again like the 682 but I am not sure if it was factory. For their price they were good value.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts