Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Beretta Multi Target and tired to adjust the rib to get a higher point of impact. The manual doesn't give much info. In trying to do the adjustment I tried to loosen the 3 allen head screws at the rear of the rib. Got the 1st 2 closest to the muzzle lose and managed to nearly strip the head on the 3rd trying to loosen it. Looking at the system it seems you only need to loosen the one closest to the muzzle to adjust the rib. Any suggestions?

Also I will need a new screw for the rear allen screw with damaged head. Is Cole's the best source? Any suggestions on loosening a stuck screw.

Also the markings near the adjusting screw don't really show any indications of what the marks give relative to point of impact. Manual no help. Any ideas on that.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Is your gun a DT11 or the A400 Multi Target?
I can tell you this: forget the instructions in the manual, they make no sense.
I have an new A400 Multi Target. You do not need to loosen any screws at the rear of the rib for adjustment.
Beretta says to loosen the flat screw (at the front of the rib) before making adjustments but that has no value either.
I can loosen or tighten that screw and still adjust my rib without issue. Another goof ball thing is the reference pointer for the rib height markings.
The manual alludes to this being a locking device. Not so, best I can tell it's just some kind of plastic pointer.
The worst thing is as you've mentioned is the tiny allen head screws that secure the rib. Dumb dumb dumb very easy to strip. The allen heads should have been twice that size or a slot head. They are not cheap to replace either.
I really shoot my A400 MT well but while cleaning after shooting two 100 bird SC tourneys this weekend. A small plunger dropped out on the work bench. I then found an errant coil spring in one of the action grooves. Come to find out it was the ejector spring and guide. Apparently, a retaining piece broke of the barrel as there is nothing else to retain the pin.
So...….the gun is three weeks old and broke. Not real happy about that.

A400 62-C92393 Ejector spring guide pin
A400 171 Rear Adjustable Rib Screw- MultiTarget

·
Registered
675 Posts
My understanding is, you loosen the allen head screw at the rear of the rib, prior to using the thumb wheel adjuster to raise or lower the front of the rib.
My thumb wheel has detents, which I feel as rotated. The scribe lines are just indicators for referencing the setting or watching to confirm desired direction of movement.
I did lose the rear screw from my new Multi-Target, but think Cole's warrantied it for me. I took the new screw to the hardware store and matched it up. The only difference was the threaded length, slightly longer. Now I have a spare, if I can find it.
There is more to the story, but those are the most relevant details.
I think the rear screw needs to be loosened to let the rib pivot with any front adjust ment, JMO

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gun is an A400 Multitarget. I agree the manual is not worth much. My main question is the 3 screws at the rear end of the rib. I think only the one closest to the muzzle needs to be loosened to release the rear of the rib for adjustment. Not sure of that however. Also the size of the allen heads is way too small. I found screws at a hardware store that match the threads on the screws in question, but a bit long. Also the factory screw has a no thread region near the head and the hardware screw is threaded all the way to the head. Not sure if this is a problem. Also getting the striped head screw out will be a problem, but if it doesn't need to be loosened to adjust the rib, I would just forget it and leave it be. May take the gun to the Ohio State Shoot and see Beretta there.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Trust me...you don't need to loosen any screw to adjust the rib. Even if the rear most screw was tight there is no discernable bow in the rib.Watch any of the review videos, they crank around on the adjuster without loosening anything.
The screws on my rib extension (mounted on the receiver) came loose after about 100 rounds. I used low adhesion Loctite to secure.
You can likely get the stripped screw out with a small easy out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Trust me...you don't need to loosen any screw to adjust the rib. Even if the rear most screw was tight there is no discernable bow in the rib.Watch any of the review videos, they crank around on the adjuster without loosening anything.
The screws on my rib extension (mounted on the receiver) came loose after about 100 rounds. I used low adhesion Loctite to secure.
You can likely get the stripped screw out with a small easy out.
The gun is an A400 Multitarget. I agree the manual is not worth much. My main question is the 3 screws at the rear end of the rib. I think only the one closest to the muzzle needs to be loosened to release the rear of the rib for adjustment. Not sure of that however. Also the size of the allen heads is way too small. I found screws at a hardware store that match the threads on the screws in question, but a bit long. Also the factory screw has a no thread region near the head and the hardware screw is threaded all the way to the head. Not sure if this is a problem. Also getting the striped head screw out will be a problem, but if it doesn't need to be loosened to adjust the rib, I would just forget it and leave it be. May take the gun to the Ohio State Shoot and see Beretta there.
I wonder if the lack of threads near the head means the screw is designed to be a pivot-ie doesn't need to be loosened. Anyway it is soft,so don't over tighten,but use low strength loctite or it will loosen on its own.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. This site is great! I will just loosen the first screw back of the muzzle and adjust the front of the rib. Will take the gun to the Ohio State Shoot and see Beretta about the striped screw head and let them fix it

Really appreciate all the input. Nice gun but very poor manual.

·
Registered
14,803 Posts
If you raise the rib to it's highest setting in the back (for a higher POI) you should loosen the front rib screw before raising it or you will have a bow in the rib. Put a straight edge on it and you will see. If you're only raising it a little bit, I wouldn't bother.

Watch your rib screws. They are known to come loose and fall out, but if you tighten them too much they are a bitch to get loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts