Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 2 Berettas: one is a 30 year old 682 Trap and the other a 682 Gold E, purchased within the past few years. I have noticed that the Trap model really send the spent hull flying while the Gold E doesn't nearly do the same. It almost acts as an ejector. Has anyone had similar results?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: I have 682E unsingle barrel I bought and it does not eject them very well also. I compaired it to the top single and double barrel and can see that the ejector does not release the shell very well. I am going to try to fit it so it ejects the shell like the other barrels. I like them to pop out of the chamber. The springs are all the same length on my barrels. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Try switching the springs around and see if you get the same result. The only other things that I can understand happening is that the spring has lost it's tension or the ejector is hanging up or part # 22 is badly worn.

If you remove the wood from the forend iron and install the iron onto the barrel and receiver, you can see how the eject / extract system works. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
693 Posts
Bill: That is great advice to remove the forend wood. It makes it much easier to see what is going on. I did notice that the ejectors are better machined on the older 682 I have than the 682E. Maybe a little stoning would help ejection? Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Just remove jagged material to make things smooth. If you file the beak of the ejector, you will turn it into an extractor. I assume that everything is clean and lubricated. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
472 Posts
Gentleman:

I have a different thought on ejection the empty. I have a Beretta 682 combo and have installed a LIGHTER ejector spring in the barrel sets. Now, the empty just pops up where I can retrieve it.

The reason for this is, I want to MAKE SURE the whole shell is in tact and there is no case separation leaving some of the shell in the barrel!

Also, it makes it easy to retrieve/save the empty.

Frank

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: I fixed my unsingle so it ejects the shell like the other barrels. It only took 0.010" off the tip of the ejector to make it work. I also took the sharp corners of it as well. Now the pop out of there. I may cut some coils off the spring if it is too strong. I appreciate the info. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
When I shot my Beretta, I shortened the ejector springs because I had an ejector break. I was told then that the springs put a lot of pressure on the ejector and that over time, many of them do break. I shot that gun a lot and never had another problem. At that time the conventional wisdom was to cut off enough coils to soften the eject, but still pop the shell. Springs at that time were $1.95 each. I don't see why a soft spring would not work well too. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
One or two at a time until it works the way you want. Remember, you can't add them back. I made mine flush with the top of the hole in the barrel that they sit in. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: I appreciate the info. I will try 6 coils off first. I also have some spring stock here that I may try. If not I can always buy a spare spring or 3. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
472 Posts
FYI

Here are the dimensions of the ejector spring in my 682 (single barrel).

Over all length: 3.050 (free state, not compressed)

Over all diameter: .061

Wire/coil diameter .020

Hope this helps, good luck.

Frank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts