Trapshooters Forum banner

Beretta choke issue

1417 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  EEB
So we had a new to trap shooting member at our club buy a used Beretta 682Gold E combo, nice gun.
Problem 1: the seller included several screw in chokes, both factory Optima, and a set of Briley Optima HP
Problem 2: the newbie didn't know they were not interchangeable. He installed a Briley Optima HP in the barrel marked "OB". Big mistake
Result: Blew the end out of the 34" barrel, no one was hurt
BEWARE: this could happen anywhere, we had a LOT of experienced shooters on the field, and while one or two were aware that the chokes were not interchangeable, they were not really sure until looking it up on the Beretta site AFTER the failure.
So many things wrong here it boggles the mind!
Reactions: vatrap
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13,540 Posts
Yes, Its a shame that Beretta built there two different chokes so close to being the same.

Hopefully several new shooters will see this post and never make that mistake???

Browning changed the threaded ends on there chokes. Plus they changed the lengths as well. So its a very noticeable change to a newbie that something is not right. To bad Beretta did not follow suit. sigh. break em all jeff

· Premium Member
Krieghoff K80
364 Posts
So we had a new to trap shooting member at our club buy a used Beretta 682Gold E combo, nice gun.
Problem 1: the seller included several screw in chokes, both factory Optima, and a set of Briley Optima HP
Problem 2: the newbie didn't know they were not interchangeable. He installed a Briley Optima HP in the barrel marked "OB". Big mistake
Result: Blew the end out of the 34" barrel, no one was hurt
BEWARE: this could happen anywhere, we had a LOT of experienced shooters on the field, and while one or two were aware that the chokes were not interchangeable, they were not really sure until looking it up on the Beretta site AFTER the failure.
So many things wrong here it boggles the mind!
The only people to blame is Beretta. There was no reason to make 2 different chokes. IMO

· Premium Member
625 Posts
I have a Optima HP Beretta. Things like this scare the heck out of me. I have a shooting acquaintance that blew up a Beretta by using the wrong chokes. He is an experienced shooter and had used a Gold E for years. He was trying a better gun for purchase and ended up purchasing what was left of it on the first shot. I have read of numerous instances of that happening. Beretta just screwed up on this issue. If it screws into the barrel it ought to be safe to use. But that is not true with several of the Beretta choke systems. Even for the fairly careful Optima and Optima HP sound a lot alike the first times you hear them.

· Registered
144 Posts
I have a Optima HP Beretta. Things like this scare the heck out of me. I have a shooting acquaintance that blew up a Beretta by using the wrong chokes. He is an experienced shooter and had used a Gold E for years. He was trying a better gun for purchase and ended up purchasing what was left of it on the first shot. I have read of numerous instances of that happening. Beretta just screwed up on this issue. If it screws into the barrel it ought to be safe to use. But that is not true with several of the Beretta choke systems. Even for the fairly careful Optima and Optima HP sound a lot alike the first times you hear them.
Fully agree.

I have a Beretta Joel Etchen Signature Series 687 which I like. It uses Optima chokes and there is no way they could possibly be mistaken for the Mobile chokes for my Beretta 303 or 390 shotguns. However, even though I am anal about my firearms I could easily see how someone not familiar with different Beretta chokes could easily mistake the various Optima-Choke families. It seems to be both an engineering mistake to have them with the same threading (which they apparently do have), but also a Naming or Marketing mistake to have names so similar for three entirely different families of chokes tubes that are in no way compatible. Optima-Chokes, Optima-Choke Plus and Optima-Choke-HP. Really!

Plus there are two different HP chokes, one the Optima-Choke-HP-1860 and the other the Optima-Choke-HP-1840. The 1840 is for use only on the Beretta 486 side x side at this time (emphasis Beretta).

The company I spent most of my professional career working for had a very good Engineering Division. Over the entrance to the Engineering area was a sign which read "Life is fragile. Design and build with care". Considering the warnings on the Beretta website about the non-interchangeability of their different choke tubes and the hazards of mixing them up, I think Beretta could have well followed that Engineering sign and at least named their various choke designs completely different names, and marketed them as such, so as to avoid confusion rather than sticking with the Optima name on all of them. But, that's just me.

Beretta's injury and death warnings about their coke tubes being non-interchangeable:

Important Note: The Optima-Choke choke tubes are not interchangeable nor usable with barrels designed for the Optima-Choke HP system. Use of Optima-Choke choke tubes in barrels designed for use with Optima-Choke HP tubes may result in catastrophic damage to your barrel and personal injury or death to the shooter or persons in the immediate vicinity!

Important Note: The Optima-Choke Plus choke tubes are not interchangeable nor usable with barrels designed for use with any other Optima-Choke/Optima-Choke HP system. Use of Optima-Choke Plus choke tubes in barrels designed for use with any other Optima-Choke/Optima-Choke HP tubes may result in catastrophic damage to your barrel and personal injury or death to the shooter or persons in the immediate vicinity!

Important Note: The Optima-Choke HP choke tubes are not interchangeable nor usable with barrels designed for the Optima-Choke system. Use of Optima-Choke HP choke tubes in barrels designed for use with Optima-Choke Tubes may result in catastrophic damage to your barrel and personal injury or death to the shooter or persons in the immediate vicinity!

· Registered
294 Posts
Carlsons catalog has a full page of pictures of all the types of Beretta chokes with explanations of their differences. With HP threads starting 3/4 inch down from the muzzle of the choke and plain Optima choke threads starting at the muzzle, I can't imagine any shooter thinking that looked like a fit before and after installing the choke. The Optima HPs are mainly in the newer A400
auto gun and are of the thin-wall type of choke.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
It seems all those warnings would just be an admission of liability in a court case.
I would agree with you other than knowing how that works.....trust in this - those statements and published disclaimers have passed through a deep well of corporate attorneys charged with insuring indemnity and eliminating risk associated with end-user errors. Full stop.

That’s a lot of gobbley-**** that means only one thing. Beretta isn’t deeply concerned with whether or not someone blows up a gun. Just whether or not they’ll be sued as a result. Removing the risk from that is what those high-collared boys and girls do. Doesn’t make it right, but it’s what it is.

As far as the naming of those choke systems? They could care less as long as Marketing gets its budget money for the year and sales increase year over year as a result. For the record, I’m an engineer. I don’t have any friends in the Marketing Dept....

· Premium Member
13,764 Posts
As far as the naming of those choke systems? They could care less as long as Marketing gets its budget money for the year and sales increase year over year as a result. For the record, I’m an engineer. I don’t have any friends in the Marketing Dept....
Believe me, I know how that works. :LOL:

Reactions: PaulCISSA

· Registered
294 Posts
I don't think the problem is with naming the system. Browning Invector and Invector Plus is not a problem because of external physical differerences. All 3 Optima choke systems have very different external physical characteristics as well and should not be confused easily. One problem that could arise is between Beretta Optima Plus and Benelli Crio/CrioPlus which have identical exterior size and appearance but the Berettas are made for a .733 bore where the Benellis are made for a .725 bore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.