Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Keystone Shooter
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years on TS I’ve come across several references to bad barrel regulation on Beretta barrels. The persons posting said that when it was brought to the attention of Beretta they refused to do anything about it. Quote the poster; Beretta claims they are within specs. They never gave any info as to how they knew they were off, how they tested them, and how much they were off.
I’ve had two Beretta’s, a 686 Silver Pigeon I, and my current gun a 687 Silver Pigeon III Joel Etchen Special. I took both guns to the pattern board and off the bench with sand bags at 30 yards, both shot the same place, and centered.
So Beretta owners what’s your experience with them. I’m curious.
Chief

·
Registered
906 Posts
Several years ago I bought a used 1986 vintage mint S682X O/U with 30” barrels, all original and unmolested. Shot singles with the bottom barrel for a couple of years until I acquired a 1985 vintage S682X unsingle, which then became my singles and handicap gun. The O/U became my backup. Earlier this year I decided to try doubles and had very little success so I finally figured I needed to check the O/U’s POI. The pattern shown below was shot from a “shooting stick” at 13 yards, not from a bench, but I think it’s pretty obvious that a bench wouldn’t have made much difference in the results. I think you can judge for self whether this barrel is properly regulated. BTW, it has fixed chokes, F over IM. Since it was a 30+ year old gun there was no point in contacting Beretta but you can bet your bottom dollar that had this been I new gun I’d have had a “conversation” with them.

upload_2020-8-16_13-51-17.jpeg

Just in the last two weeks I have acquired a NIB 32” O/U barrel to replace the original. It was old stock that Coles had in the storeroom. It has been fitted to my receiver and I will be checking POI on Tuesday. I will follow up with results. I figure it can’t possibly be worse.
Denny K.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I had heard that also. Two of mine were mono barrel guns, I never had a problem. Then I bought a combo, and when I put it on the pattern board it tested good. Then I bought an O/U 682 gold. I hit pretty well with it. A guy told me that the 682 Gold guns were famous for bad regulation, so I checked it after I had a few misses one evening at league. It was fine also. I am sure someone had problems, or they wanted to blame the gun for their misses. Mine were all fine. It seems I am a pretty lucky man most of the time.

Sometimes the internet can really spread some things as fact that may not be. I remember A guy joined a motorcycle club board as he had just bought that model of motorcycle. I don't know what the guy's problem was but he posted 100's of posts in a few weeks about what a POS the bike was. He was thrown out of the dealership for causing problems. He got a lawyer when the 2nd place threw him out. A Factory rep had to meet him when he went to a third dealer. Some of his quotes still show up on the internet ten years later, even though 1000's of club members had good service and multiple hundreds rode them over 100,000 miles with no breakdowns. The problems may appear bigger than they are.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Beretta tech service allows for 6" discrepancy between O/U barrels at 30 meters. They check this with a full choke in the upper barrel and an IM choke in the lower barrel. If the pattern centers are within 6" of each other the gun is within their specifications.
Their tech engineer mgr . is Rick Gump I believe and their interpretation of this spec will be loose in their favor when you return a gun to them . Good luck in resolving this if you get one that is off .

·
Keystone Shooter
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far they all seem to be pretty well regulated. And if your barrels are that bad I believe if you keep on them, Beretta, they’ll fix it one way or another. But you have to stay on them. Just like any manufacturer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A fellow at my gun club blew one wide open in the forearm area. Beretta had to admit that the metal was crystalized and gave him a mew barrel. I think they just wanted to get the barrel out of his hands.
He wasn't going to let them have it until he had a new barrel and forearm.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
So far they all seem to be pretty well regulated. And if your barrels are that bad I believe if you keep on them, Beretta, they’ll fix it one way or another. But you have to stay on them. Just like any manufacturer.
Chief,

So far since 1979 I've owned and shot the following Berettas in competitions and have had others to test:

1 x 680 trap
1 x 680 skeet
1 x 682X trap
2 x 682 sporting
1 x 682 DL skeet
1 x 686 sporting
3 x DT10X trap
1 x DT11 skeet
2 x 692 trap
1 x 692 skeet

My experience, and that's all I can speak from, is they've all shot where they were supposed to without any regulation issues and I'm the most obsessive and finicky SoB you'd ever meet. If I thought something wasn't right I'd refuse to use it.

I'm reminded of what a old WWII B-17 pilot once told me. He and his crew were on the way to flatten something in Germany when one of his waist gunners called up on the interphone and said his machine gun wasn't working and suggested they should drop out of formation and abort the mission. My friend told him (and all the crew could hear him) that they were going on despite his problem because he probably wouldn't hit anything anyway even if his gun was working.

Whenever I've needed Beretta's help they always gone out of their way to assist me. I can only speak as I've found.

Jim

·
Keystone Shooter
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jim I believe you speak with authority. After owning and shooting 14 Beretta’s you pretty much say it all in that response.
Thanks
Chief

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ya I bought a 686 combo that had low rounds shot through it and I thought it was a dang good deal so I jumped on it and bought it come to find out after patterning it the seller never mentioned to me that the bottom barrel shot 40/60 and the top barrel shot 80/20 and the center bead on the over and under barrel was drilled and tapped off center about
.030 to the right. Hard lessened learned. And the kicker is I bought it off of this site. I mentioned it to the sales rep at the Ohio state shoot this year and he told me that was probably within spec I turned around and walked out and traded it to a friend's son but I told him everything about it. I'll never own another beretta for sure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
In the past two years I've purchased a 692, SP1, 691 Vittoria and a DT11. Each gun got POI tested right out of the box. I tested at 13 yrds off a bench using a rest and all 4 guns are perfectly regulated.

·
Registered
392 Posts
For those that didn't pattern within spec, did you notice it was shooting odd, or did you only notice on the pattern plate?
I never shot doubles with it but did shoot 2 rounds of singles and after missing the first 5 in a row I started pointing 6" above the bird and chipped a few then a foot above and was hitting them good with the bottom barrel. I don't shoot like that so I tried the top barrel and hit them ok but I like a higher poi so I put it back in the case. What really got me was the response from beretta...

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
I've seen regulation issues on my splatter board with just about every make of gun of gun except a Krieghoff and Browning so far.... CG, Perazzi, Blaser, Beretta. Each manufacturer a different "acceptable" regulation. You also have to be careful about buying used barrels. Some have different heights of POI because they were ordered that way.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts