Trapshooters Forum banner

Beretta Auto vs. BT-99

2915 Views 23 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  kbi
OK, this is not asking for an opinion of which is better for trap- just asking for some feedback.

Some of you may have seen the photos I posted of my A-300 Sporting I just got back from Tron and the excellent work he did on it. (I didn't know about the cat, but now I do, thanks.)

I also have a new BT-99 that I had not shot in a couple of months, wanting to concentrate on the Beretta instead.

Today I was finally able to get to the patterning board with the Beretta, and with the adjustable comb set as far right as it will go (I'm a right handed shooter), it was spot-on L-R.

Now-- I know these are different animals- but today, shooting two rounds with each in a pretty hefty headwind, I shot 23-23 with the Browning, and 20-21 with the Beretta at 16 yards, with IM in both- 1 oz 7 1/2 reloads for all. Granted, this is not an exhaustive test, and I'm still a fairly new shooter.

But while I really want to like this Beretta better and it's more comfortable to shoot, I -hit- better with the BT-99. That was the case before I had the work done (both trigger and stock) and that hasn't changed-- which is a bit of a disappointment-- and understand I am not blaming the guns nor the work done by Tron and Cole.

It could be that switching is confusing matters and I should just pick one and go with it-- but I have always shot better with the Browning, and recoil with my reloads is not bad. Factory handicap loads is a different story, but I don't need those at 16 yds anyway.

So what I'm asking of you who have been in this game a while-- would a new shooter be better off refining his game with the gun he's already better at, or continuing to work with a gun that is softer-shooting, but with which he doesn't shoot as well?

Thanks.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Read Only
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't say how High each gun shoots. Where do they pattern at 13 yards? I'd be willing to bet that the BT99 has a MUCH higher POI than the Beretta Sporting. The BT99 is a dedicated trap gun.
The Beretta is a sporting gun.
Very different in what they are expected to do.
You're right, I forgot to say- the BT-99 centers its pattern about 1 1/2" higher at 13 yards than the Beretta. But testing at 35 yards (all from a rest) the difference is only about 2".

I know that's not what the formulas say the difference -should- be, but that's what I'm seeing.

· Sky Buster
4,484 Posts
You're right, I forgot to say- the BT-99 centers its pattern about 1 1/2" higher at 13 yards than the Beretta. But testing at 35 yards (all from a rest) the difference is only about 2".

I know that's not what the formulas say the difference -should- be, but that's what I'm seeing.
Rather than running your comb all the way to the right. Why not use the spacers to move the
stock to the right. Probably be easier on your face than having that edge against your cheek.

· Read Only
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The difference at 35 yards (which is as far back as I can get at the patterning board at my club) show that very thing. And this was not a one-time thing. I have been to the patterning board so many times over the past 3 months that the guy who runs the place asked me if I was working up turkey loads,

A 1 1/2" difference at 13 yards should be about.. what, 6" or more at 35-40.. but that's not the case.

· Read Only
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rather than running your comb all the way to the right. Why not use the spacers to move the
stock to the right. Probably be easier on your face than having that edge against your cheek.
The shims for Beretta are either SX or DX as far as cast, right? One or the other. Custom shims are what I was originally after, but there is apparently no source for those now.

· Registered
3,368 Posts
Go to post three, lock the trap in straight away position and shoot singles until your inkballing them. Keep adding shims until you're knocking the tops out, then back off one shim. Shoot some from two and four to check your poi. You may have to drop one more shim if your to high on angles. Then lock it down and get used to it.

· Read Only
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go to post three, lock the trap in straight away position and shoot singles until your inkballing them. Keep adding shims until you're knocking the tops out, then back off one shim. Shoot some from two and four to check your poi. You may have to drop one more shim if your to high on angles. Then lock it down and get used to it.
No problems breaking straightaways from 3 with either gun today. I can't tell exactly where I hit them because they'd just disappear. No dust, none of that, just gone.

The way I have started approaching station 3 is this-- and this may be wrong-- but I use a low hold just below the front edge of the house (one-eyed shooter) just to the right of center. There is a stand of bamboo at this club about 90 yards away, and I pick out a clump of bamboo stalks straight in front of me and focus my eyes there when calling for the bird. A wide right or left is pretty easy to pick up on, and I break most of them. Otherwise, if the bird is heading straight for that spot I shoot right under it and break it. If it's off to the left or right a bit, I lead a little left or right just under the bird and break them.

Oddly, 1 & 2 is where most of the misses came from with the Beretta, and I usually don't miss there. 4 and 5 is where I drop targets most of the time.

· Registered
10,622 Posts
First of all, I have never seen anyone who was very successful at trying to set up two completely different trap guns while comparing one against the other. So, I think you should put the BT99 away until you zero in the Beretta. The Browning won’t be mad 😠.

You say that you have the comb all the way to the right of center, yes? Why?

· Registered
5,327 Posts
I tell people to pick a gun based on what feels best, hits the most and hurts the least. In that order.

Based on what you have said, the Browning all day long. There's a 10 per 100 target advantage, and it would have to beat you to a pulp for that advantage to be overcome by excess recoil.

I'd be checking a few things.

Are both chokes ACTUALLY the same constriction-within a couple thou? An IM of 24 thou and an IM of 30 thou may give quite different results.

As others have suggested, is the length from butt to trigger the same? Is the length from pistol grip to trigger the same? What about pitch? Weight? Balance?

Me, I'd just shoot the 92% gun over the 82% gun.

· Read Only
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Good questions, and thanks for being constructive rather than going on the attack.

LOP- I just measured both from the center of the trigger to the center of the recoil pad and they're both within a small fraction of an inch of 14 1/4". That's a little bit longer than I have on my field guns (I'm 5' 8"), but that LOP does not present a problem with gun mounting or trigger pull.

Comb to the right- I currently have the 55 DX shims in the Beretta. With the stock from the factory that was just about right for elevation with a 1/16" KickEze pad (meaning I guess a 52 would have been about right if Beretta made one).

Choke constriction- I believe they are both marked .700, but I have not measured them. Yet.

With the stock as it was, the photo here shows how it shot at 13 yards.

My starting point with the adjustable comb was about halfway right, but the pattern still was a bit to the left. Adjusting it all the way to the right only has it offset about 3/16", but I can't say how much cast is added by the DX shim.

I didn't photograph the centered pattern since it was finally where it needed to be-- just gathered all my stuff and went straight to the trap field.

Attachments

· Registered
5,327 Posts
Choke constriction- I believe they are both marked .700, but I have not measured them. Yet.
Just re-read this. Mike the bore too. .700 in a 728 bore is less constriction than 700 in a 735 bore....obviously. I don't know the nominal diameters of either of your guns, but a bore mike will tell you, as well as confirming the choke size.

· Registered
304 Posts
Not that I’m an expert by any means, I’d stick with the gun you shoot best with least effort. I’m currently going through some fitting issues myself and regret getting rid of the gun I shot best for a gun I thought I needed. Good luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.