Trapshooters Forum banner

Beretta al2 help

796 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Anthony12ga
Hello everyone, I’ve just purchased an early 70’s beretta al2 12 gauge for my daughter. I finally got her out to the clays range and she loved it! I was able to locate this beretta and it’s in fairly good shape and she really likes it, light weight, beautiful gun.
I got it home today and performed a through cleaning on it, it was absolutely filthy! This has apparently been a field gun as it had dirt in every orafice.
The part I need help with is the recoil spring. I removed the stock with a 19mm socket and after emptying a pound of dirt from the stock I’m left with a tube, the end of the tube has a pin which I knocked out and what appears to be a large flat head screw in the end which I absolutely cannot get it to budge. I’m wondering if that flat head screw is what needs to be removed to get the spring out? I cannot find any useful information about this shotgun, everything I come access applies to newer models and they don’t seem to be the same. I found a video of a 391 being torn down but this is different.
Would anyone have and be willing to share some info, manual, video, anything?
Thank you for any help.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
730 Posts
I have the same gun. Don’t remember a screw so if you could post a picture that would sure help and I can double check on mine. The go to person for these guns is a member of this website, Wally Riebesell. You can find his contact information in the vendor section under ACSS. Wally has any parts you might need and more importantly he has a ton of knowledge that he is willing to share. A wonderful person to deal with.

· Registered
419 Posts
The "flat head screw" is just the plug that holds the spring in the tube. The slot is a recess for the pin. Try soaking the end of the tube in some penetrating oil. You should eventually be able to get it loose trying to turn it with a screwdriver.

· Registered
6,623 Posts
Hello everyone, I’ve just purchased an early 70’s beretta al2 12 gauge for my daughter. I finally got her out to the clays range and she loved it! I was able to locate this beretta and it’s in fairly good shape and she really likes it, light weight, beautiful gun.
I got it home today and performed a through cleaning on it, it was absolutely filthy! This has apparently been a field gun as it had dirt in every orafice.
The part I need help with is the recoil spring. I removed the stock with a 19mm socket and after emptying a pound of dirt from the stock I’m left with a tube, the end of the tube has a pin which I knocked out and what appears to be a large flat head screw in the end which I absolutely cannot get it to budge. I’m wondering if that flat head screw is what needs to be removed to get the spring out? I cannot find any useful information about this shotgun, everything I come access applies to newer models and they don’t seem to be the same. I found a video of a 391 being torn down but this is different.
Would anyone have and be willing to share some info, manual, video, anything?
Thank you for any help.
A picture price list i looked at shows the plug as being steel. The screw driver slot is so you can turn the plug to align the pin hole when reassembling it.

Steel on steel along with dirt and grime equal (at least in my mind) rusting solid.

Penetrating oil and enough heat to make it smoke (but not hot enough to get much color change) applied several times and after 3 or 4 applications try turning the plug. You may want do put a small diameter wire in the retaining pin hole as if the heat work by itself a hot plunger disappearing who knows where can be to exciting.

Al

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A picture price list i looked at shows the plug as being steel. The screw driver slot is so you can turn the plug to align the pin hole when reassembling it.

Steel on steel along with dirt and grime equal (at least in my mind) rusting solid.

Penetrating oil and enough heat to make it smoke (but not hot enough to get much color change) applied several times and after 3 or 4 applications try turning the plug. You may want do put a small diameter wire in the retaining pin hole as if the heat work by itself a hot plunger disappearing who knows where can be to exciting.

Al
thank you for that info. I’ll give that a shot. Definitely right on the rust and dirt as well, it was hideous in there. Almost like they packed dirt in to weight the stock, it was the worst I’ve seen. There was dirt in every orafice of this gun but now she shines like new. Just have to replace this spring and this will be a cream puff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.