Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any body help I'm thinking of buying the new a400 excel sporting. Good or bad gun it's mostly for clays not skeet or trap. Or is it a waste I never shot one I shoot 390's. I like the idea of the new recoil pad But I'm just looking for any feedback thanks Steve

·
Registered
227 Posts
Steve: basically a nice gun - seem to shoot well and run a long time with out cleaning. Gas piston has a very soft scrubber snap ring on it - do not bend or gun will not function properly. Kick-Off recoil system is plastic and while it works OK it's cheap and if not squarely in your shoulder really doesn't do much. Most customers seem happy with them. DGG

·
Registered
14,685 Posts
Beretta knew they needed a new action to compete with Remington and Winchester (now Browning) in the 3" and 3.5" market. When the new Xtrema came out, they found out that the double guide bar, gas port sleeve action they developed was easier to clean, less affected by weather, and softer shooting.

The A400 is a spin off of the original xtrema action. And it's an improvement.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Only thing better about the A400 than your 390 is the kickoff. The 390 is a good clays gun. that said, I love the A400 with kickoff, can't tell the difference between 1 oz loads & 3 dram 1-1/8

·
Supporting Vendor
9,954 Posts
The Kickoff system works great and so far seems to be very durable. It's a light weight reducer that actually works and doesn't effect the balance of the gun by being butt heavy. The downside of the Kickoff is that if you want/need and adjustable comb on the Field of Sporting models, there isn't any room for the comb cut or the hardware.

I find the blue anodized receiver repulsive and the trigger to be the joke of the industry and even with a trigger job, awful. Otherwise, I like the gun, but greatly prefer the 300 series models. But to add to what the Setterman says, it's really just a spin off of the Xtrema series, complete with ridiculous trigger.

Just my thoughts.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have two of them. First one is a sporting model when they first came out. It had sling screws in the stock and on the forend cap. Never have had any problems with it. Shoot approx. 2-3 thousand shells through it annually. Last fall I bought their new Camo hunting model with Kick off. I love it. Went to Sask. last fall for a 5 day hunt and never had any hiccups with it. Shoot 3 inch shells through that all the time except when I use it on Skeet/clay practice. Again no problems with 1 1/8 shells for that. I am very happy with both of them. Good luck in you decision. Topdrake

·
Sky Buster
4,032 Posts
I have the trap version with the Kick-Off and the sporting
with out the Kick-Off. Both good reliable guns but I think
the Kick-Off is junk. All plastic and non-adjustable. It
might work with heavy field loads but it doesn't do much with
trap loads. Beretta has a video on U Tube wherein they state
the A400 with go 10,000 rounds between cleaning's.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Try to find a 391 Parallel Target, will work with sporting, trap and skeet. Not my primary gun for trap or sporting but do think it's a great all-around gun. Soft shooting and easy to adjust. Found one with a 32" barrel and no regrets.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I got one of the sporting models in trade.shoots well with light loads and seems to have a very fast cycle time if that matters.The recoil device is cheap plastic but Inthink only costs 75 dollars extra.A buddy described it as a 'bling' gun because of the blued receiver.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just want to thank everyone for the responses again I shoot a 390 love it I'm def going to talk to mike Batista and once again thanks for everyone's help I'm not interested in the kickoff system gotta love trapshooter.com
Steve.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bought the 12 ga. and use it for Sporting Clays. Took it to Canada for Ducks and Geese and it was perfect. Shot it two days a week during duck season at my duck club and again performed perfect. The kickoff feature is great except for not being able to change the LOP. I liked it so much that I bought the 20 ga. which I used in Mexico this year for doves. Like that one so much I ordered a 28 ga.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Shot a clubs Excel today at skeet doubles(30" sporting w/KO) I shoot a 390 with a counter coil(Bruce Ney system) and a 303 with a soft touch. I purposely shot 3 dram 1 1/8 ounce to see how it compared to my regular guns. Like Tron stated-it worked well-not as well at my two systems but a heck of a lot better than nothing. I then shot some 1 ounce 1210 out of it and recoil was less than a 20 gauge in my opinion. I really did not notice the triggers(if worse than mine) I do not doubt what Tron states. The gun shot great and had good dynamics- I do believe Scott Robertson used an A400 in Dubai-that is saying something.

BTW-the gun I shot has over 25,000 rounds through it according to the range manager.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm not sure what the difference is between an A400 and an A300, but a lot of guys I know have the A300 and it seems to work out pretty well.

·
Registered
469 Posts
does any one offer a release trigger for them yet? I had a sporter but the grip radius was a bit much. I would like to look at a parallel target model. im hoping it will have a reduced radius??? lee

·
Registered
703 Posts
i recomend try before you buy. i picked one up not long ago, the 30" sporting version with kickoff. couldnt hit squat with it. after picking up a used parrallel trap butt, and now adding a limbsaver pad to it (factory one way to short and slippery) ive finally got it crushing targets consistantly. i like the kickoff, dont mind the blue, but that sporting stock just wouldnt work for me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Liked the 12 gauge so well I bought the 20ga. I liked it so I bought the 28ga. I use them for everything from goose hunting in Canada to quail, present and doves in Mexico. You only need the kickoff for the 12 ga.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I may be looking to get one before next Spring...got plenty of 12 & 20ga guns in my safe,... my interest will be in a 28 and wondering how folks like them and reliability with the peewee rounds..obviously in 28 I have no interest in a Kick-off

1 - 20 of 20 Posts