Trapshooters Forum banner

Beretta A400 questions

3039 Views 17 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  ThatsTrap
My 4H kids had a new A400 donated to them with a condition that if it’s not what we need or is not a good fit we can swap it for something else. Really needing a soft, gas recoil 12 gauge for the ones that have been shooting a 20 due to 12 gauge recoil. Majority of the ones with 12 gauge have O/U or older recoil guns that their parents got them to shoot. This has caused a few cases of the “Yips” with a few of the smaller kids.
Will this gun be a good fit with them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
13,540 Posts
A gas-operated Beretta auto will make a 3 dram 1 1/8 oz. load feel like a 2 3/4 dram one oz. load out of a O/U shotgun. Or close to it. As long as the shotgun fits there smaller frames OK? Not sure if you can install a adjustable comb on your A-400? Or even cut the stock if you need to shorten it? So, I'm not sure how well Jr. shooters will do with a adult size shotgun. You might be able to work out a deal with Mike at the Silver Dollar to find a gas auto in a Jr. size and swap it out with your A-400 though??? Good Luck with your kids. break em all jeff

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Tron cut the stock down to about 12 3/4" and installed a LOP adjustable pad plate on my daughter's gun. It will go from 13 to 14 with a 5/8" pad. It could go longer with a thicker pad. I know that Graco has installed an adjustable comb on a kids gun that shoots on our team so that is a possibility as well. I'm not sure how much it's needed with the shims that come with the gun. We have 4 kids shooting A400s on our youth team this year and it's the gun we recommend to new shooters. I'd say it's a keeper!

· Registered
67 Posts
I’ve got both an A400 and A400 lite. I prefer the A400 Parallel target, my kids both shot it for some time and they are both small framed kids that combined wouldn’t have broke 150 lbs when they started. I bought the lite as a new field gun, just haven’t shot it much.

· Registered
37 Posts
I have the A400 Multi-Target with no KO and it shoots well. Not much recoil with the stock pad. I did go a little thicker to adjust my LOP. This was my main gun for ATA when I started in 2018. I have since moved on to a 692 X Trap and they used the same pads so I moved it to my 692. I used Cole's modified spring so when shooting doubles, the hell doesn't fly 3-4 posts away.

· Registered
2,310 Posts
I won a A400 Excel hunting gun. Fantastic engineering. Shot one round with 1 1/8 1150 shells and extended mod choke (comes with five or six). Crushed 24/25 from 18 (where we happened to be on fun Friday). Tighter I held it the less it recoiled but it was nowhere as soft as my 1100 Trap. I'd hate to try the 3 1/2" shells. I'm going to redonate it to raise money for the h.s. club I coach. (Unless I can find a Browning 725 skeet to trade on)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.