Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Paul, have her try that load before you screw around with the gas ports. Let us know if she can work with that and it doesn’t beat her up. Good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also, have you cleaned the gas ports to be sure they are totally open. Just a slight bit of further opening and all this goes away / all issues solved. Its a common issue with those models.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I recently bought a very low mileage Beretta 303 12 ga from the son of a friend of mine. It easily digests 3/4 ounce (using ExtraLite), 7/8 ounce (using ExtraLite), one ounce (Using Promo) and 1 & 1/16 ounce (using Green Dot) reloads, all in the neighborhood of 1200 fps. It is a delight to shoot. JPM

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Took the gun apart tonight. (Hope I can get it back together!!!!). I now see the holes (what everyone is referring to as the gas ports). Yes, It needs a complete cleaning....but the insides of this gun looks new. The trigger looks virtually unshot. The barrel is not a magnum barrel. It is marked 12 GA. 2 3/4" - 32" on the left side and "special trap" in gold lettering on the right side. The gas ports do need cleaned, but it really doesn't look that bad (not that I would know the difference). The inside of the gun is completely dry....no sign of any oil or grease of any kind. Might that be part of the issue? It sounds like JPM has no problems with light loads!!!!
Paul

·
Registered
163 Posts
Took the gun apart tonight. (Hope I can get it back together!!!!). I now see the holes (what everyone is referring to as the gas ports). Yes, It needs a complete cleaning....but the insides of this gun looks new. The trigger looks virtually unshot. The barrel is not a magnum barrel. It is marked 12 GA. 2 3/4" - 32" on the left side and "special trap" in gold lettering on the right side. The gas ports do need cleaned, but it really doesn't look that bad (not that I would know the difference). The inside of the gun is completely dry....no sign of any oil or grease of any kind. Might that be part of the issue? It sounds like JPM has no problems with light loads!!!!
Paul
I'll bet JPM's gun was previously opened a bit. Those guns were not designed for extra light loads. Its common practice to open the ports a little

·
Registered
216 Posts
Time to run some metal pipe cleaners thru those gas port holes…they are in desperate need of cleaning after all the shells…AND I recommend lubing the insides (trigger mech, and gas system) with Breakfree CLP…I don’t mean dripping wet, but enough lube to reduce the friction of dry parts on dry parts…

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Clean the gas ports with index drill bit before increasing doing anything to increase the size of them.
Do it by hand!

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Lube on the slides, on the magazine tube, a dab on the chrome part the piston slides on, a drop on the spring in the stock. Not dripping just light oil

·
Registered
893 Posts
I found my 303’s like running ‘wet’. A couple of drops of Breakfree CLP on the moving parts of the gas system worked wonders.

·
Registered
69 Posts
where do you buy your 303 recoil springs from?
If you're not able to find the spring from the sites other members mentioned. You can buy OEM parts through colegun.com they should have an action spring in stock. If they don't they'll order them for you from Italy. You can see what parts are available in Italy by looking on the website www.omps2.it/en/
Good luck

·
Registered
33,579 Posts
…..
So my wife wanted to try her hand at trap. She's is petite and recoil sensitive, so I scored an autoloader for her. She loves the gun and actually broke about 8 birds her first time out (no doubt a result of amazing coaching). The gun I found was VERY lightly used....cannot tell it from new. I scored some one ounce loads for her and they would not cycle thru the gun. I tried my factory 1-1/8 1145 loads, and those cycled just fine. Is there a spring or something I can change out to allow her to use 1 oz loads, or should I have her stick with 1-1/8? Thanks!
Paul

Perhaps an owner’s manual will be of help, if you do not have one

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I would like to thank everyone for their efforts and responses. Huge help. Spent the day yesterday cleaning and learning. I'm quite impressed with the gun. Wife and I are headed out to the club this morning. You guys really helped jump start my learning curve. Much appreciated.
Paul

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Wife shot it this morning. It is butter smooth. But still will not cycle the 1 oz 1180 loads. Cycles the 1-1/8 1145 flawlessly. Strangely, she couldn't tell the difference between the two shells. So I think we are set. Thanks for the education.
Paul

·
Registered
33,579 Posts
Wife shot it this morning. It is butter smooth. But still will not cycle the 1 oz 1180 loads. Cycles the 1-1/8 1145 flawlessly. Strangely, she couldn't tell the difference between the two shells. So I think we are set. Thanks for the education.
Paul
Might want to try some 1 oz loads between 1200 and 1235 FPS. Still not as stiff as 1145 - 1-1/8 oz.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I would really like to have her shoot the 1 oz loads. In addition to cleaning the thing really well and shooting some handicap to break it in, I'm going to try some different brands as well.
Hi Paul -
I have an A303 and shoot 1oz loads loaded to 1180-1200 fps in it all the time without any cycling issues. Have not bored out the gas port or cut the spring, although the recoil spring in mine is a replacement spring from J&P.

A good cleaning may get yours functioning correctly with the lighter loads. It's a great gun: I have a 12 gauge and my wife has a 20 and I load 3/4oz loads for her - no cycling issues in the smaller gauge with light loads, either.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I still have 2 303's for Sporting Clays. I shoot them wet with CLP Breakfree which makes a cleanup so much easier. After about 1K shots I'll strip the gun down and clean the inside of the piston with a wire brush (for pvc pipe), and scrub the outside with a bronze toothbrush. The gas cylinder on the bottom of the barrel also gets the wire brush treatment. When everything is clean I put a light coat of CLP on all the moving parts, it seems to hold all the carbon/soot in suspension and it doesn't harden up. I ordered some recoil springs from JP and I replace it after a couple years, while I have it out I give the tube a good cleaning and some more CLP.

YMMV, Pat

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks all. Just ordered the JP spring kit. Yes, I cleaned the gun VERY carefully. After I put the new spring in, I'm gonna sneak the gun over to the club when my wife isn't looking and shoot about 10 rounds of handicap. Gun just might need a bit of exercise. I haven't given up on the 1 oz loads...yet.
Paul

·
Vendor
7,482 Posts
if it doesnt throw mt hulls 6’ or so - call me and ill tell you what to do
Saba banana Font Line Matoke Parallel

Reactions: pbansen and dfwip9x
21 - 38 of 38 Posts