Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife wanted to try her hand at trap. She's is petite and recoil sensitive, so I scored an autoloader for her. She loves the gun and actually broke about 8 birds her first time out (no doubt a result of amazing coaching). The gun I found was VERY lightly used....cannot tell it from new. I scored some one ounce loads for her and they would not cycle thru the gun. I tried my factory 1-1/8 1145 loads, and those cycled just fine. Is there a spring or something I can change out to allow her to use 1 oz loads, or should I have her stick with 1-1/8? Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
574 Posts
What was the FPS on the 1oz ? 1200 in a 1oz should be similar to 1145 in 1-1/8oz.

1oz 1180 or 1160 are usually fussy.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you can find some 1200 1oz try those (challenger brand has them). Gun clubs are 1185, but those may not make a difference. No point in getting 1290 1oz, because the recoil will be more than 1145 1-1/8.

·
Registered
33,590 Posts
A lot of recoil can be tamed by a good recoil pad too. Make sure the one on the gun has not hardened, which can happen with an old gun, even not used much. Kick-Eze, LimbSaver, or even Falcon Strike might help a lot.

Reactions: 4th. down

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did cut the stock down a bit so it fit her properly and I added the largest (thickest) kick-eez pad....I think the 401-10. Was really hoping I could put in a weaker spring or something like that so I could also have her shooting light loads. I apologize for my ignorance. Been a Perazzi guy my entire life, so I know next to nothing about autoloaders and what the options/choices are....
Paul

·
Registered
33,590 Posts
Best advice for semi auto loaders is keep them clean, clean after each shooting session. I would hesitate cutting springs, but we have a couple semi auto Beretta users here that will be along shortly. One of the vendors here, “accs” has a lot of knowledge about older Berettas, perhaps he will be along or you can send him a PM.

Reactions: JPM

·
Registered
574 Posts
hard to find unmolested 303s so I would not mess with it. The only spring is the recoil spring in the stock, which are tough to find and don’t really have much to do with gas cycling, just bolt speed. The sign of a worn recoil spring is usually long ejection (8-10ft) and can result in the bolt slamming back and pinging the receiver. Since it hasn’t been shot much, break it in a bit. It may work with 1180s down the road. Light loads is a gas issue, which some cure by enlarging a barrel port, but on a like new 303 it’s not worth the fuss.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
If you haven’t done so, take the whole gun apart and give it a thorough cleaning. If the gun was stored with the bolt open, the recoil spring may be weak or compressed. I’d take the gun from her and have fun shooting a box or 2 of really heavy loads to wake her up (the gun). If the gun is a magnum hunting version you will need to modify the gas relief holes in the barrel (or get a target barrel) to get enough gas pressure to function properly. Reach out to Wally (acss sign on name) as he will be able to assist you with your dilemma. Glad you got your other 1/2 to enjoy the game. Mine doesn’t shoot a lot but I enjoy it immensely when she does. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
194 Posts
no big deal to enlarge gas holes under barrel ring if need be. replace recoil spring if u need one ill be happy to send one to u. pm if needed

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure appreciate all the help. Honestly, I did not understand the whole "gas" thing. I thought that it was strictly mechanical and just a matter of a weaker spring somewhere. Now I get it. As for the barrel, I don't think it is a magnum hunting barrel. It is marked "trap special". After I give it a really good cleaning, I'll shoot some handicap with it and go from there. Thanks again for keeping me on the right track.
Paul

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Trap special barrels are great, open the ports or use a hotter load. Do not port that barrel.

Pat

·
Premium Member
My Perazzi to my Remington 870 TC. Love them all
321 Posts
Get them at J&P Custom Products(they make them) and Midwest and also Brownells. I myself have bought a few over the years from J&P.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've opened quite a few gas ports of 302 /303 barrels for just that reason. Its not a recoil spring issue. They are absolutely great guns but not a perfect design for today's light loads. No big deal--- just get a drill bit and open the gas port in the barrel very slightly and test it again. I've opened them quite a bit but if you go way to far the magnum shells will beat the receiver up. You don't have to open both ports equally and can do 1 at a time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you load your own go with a load that has higher pressure. If buying shells try different brands. One may have higher pressure at the gas ports than another even if the same FPS.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was wondering about the whole chamber pressure issue. I would really like to have her shoot the 1 oz loads. In addition to cleaning the thing really well and shooting some handicap to break it in, I'm going to try some different brands as well. It's just so difficult to do that in today's market. I have about 4 flats of Estates that she is currently shooting. I might slip in some 1-1/8 1145 loads just to see if she can tell the difference. This gun shoots so soft, I may be making this a much bigger issue than it really is. I already know the 1-1/8 at 1145 function perfectly.
Paul

1 - 20 of 38 Posts