Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Beretta Xtrema Model a-400 several months ago to use for waterfowl hunting. I really like the gun but found out that it will not cycle 3 1/2 " shells. The first shot will fire but the second round gets stuck in the magazine and jams. It appears that the third round is coming out of the magazine and jamming the second round, preventing it from feeding into the chamber. Is this a common problem with these guns? Is there an easy fix to solve this problem? Is there a qualified Beretta gunsmith that can fix this problem without sending it back to the factory? Thanks.........

·
Vendor
7,417 Posts
call cole gunsmithing harpswell maine

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mine does this as well. I've found 2 workarounds. 1) use Kent shells, they are just a bit shorter than fed or winchester and this seems to work, at least for me. 2.) float the second shell on the lifter instead of putting it the magazine.

With longer shells like the fed or winchester it seems that the catch on the magazine doesn't catch the third shell. I've read other reports of this, but haven't really heard of a fix.

Mine cycles Kent 3-1/2" fine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will try it with some Kent shells. Can I get the phone number for Cole Gunsmithing? I will give them a call and see what they have to say about this problem.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hadn't heard Beretta had this figured out. I had intended to send mine in after last season, but I didn't get around to it. It'll have to wait until after this season now.

As long as sportsmans has 3-1/2" kents in stock, I'm good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've used mine for 2 years now and have not had any issues with shell lengths. I have come to realize I can shoot the smaller lengths and lesser velocities and kill more ducks. I like the 3" #2 or #4 shot around 1300-1400 no higher

Danny

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I have come to realize I can shoot the smaller lengths and lesser velocities and kill more ducks.
Smart man! There is absolutely no need to shoot ducks with 3 1/2" shells. I've used 2 3/4" loads for 40 years and I kill plenty of ducks. Just takes a little discipline..... don't take those shots that are way too long to begin with.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Pretty much never use 3-1/2 for ducks.

But I really like them when the geese are in. 3-1/2 bb or bbb hammer big geese.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree that 3" shells are fine for ducks but I hunt a lot of geese particularly in the late season. The geese are pretty smart by then and are a little harder to get within range. The 3 1/2" shells reach out a little farther to bring down the big birds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts