Trapshooters Forum banner

Beretta 694 Trap High Rib / For the folks Down-Under

10875 Views 25 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Old_Diabetic_100
Musical instrument Wood Font Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
5,327 Posts
Now THAT is interesting. I wonder if it is an attempt to recreate the very first 682 X traps, which had that same step rib (13mm-about 1/2"). Those 682 models are still highly sought after down here.

There is a dedicated 694 DTL Trap down here-30" or 32", adjustable stock, removable chokes, trap forend-but it is a flat rib. It runs about $7k AUD (about $5300 USD today). Wonder what the step rib will be.

(By the way, DTL = down the line, our version of trap).

I'd like to play with one.

· Registered
5,327 Posts
Just found a dealer who is advertising the 694 DTL models (although the pics are of flat rib sporters....sigh).

DTL flat rib is $6700 AUD ($5100 USD). Step rib is $7300 ($5550 USD).

Both with adjustable stocks and chokes, cased. Down here everyone shoots an U/O-combos are virtually unknown.

Hmmmm....

· Registered
1,345 Posts
You have to travel back to 1994 for the 682 X Trap and 687 EELL Step rib models; 2 styles, lower step rib and Super Trap with higher step rib, some were 10 mm all the way others were tapered. I still shoot the lower step rib, love it. I hope Beretta sends a few to Beretta USA as its been a long wait ..................

· Registered
15,243 Posts
It's always interesting to see what foreign mfgs and importers do, esp Beretta.

I'm sure that gun would sell well in the US (the largest market in the world for sporting firearms) although it is unlikely it will ever been imported here.

Beretta and it's subsidiaries have a lot of interesting guns in their stable (of particular interest to me is some LH Tikka rifles) that they don't bother to import here, but import to Canada and Australia, which makes zero sense. They offer a LH T3X CTR & Varmint in Canada and Australia, but not the US, if they imported it here I GUARANTEE they wouldn't be able to keep it in stock, it would pretty much own the entry level precision rifle market for lefties (since they'd be selling for about 100 bucks more (for a complete ready to run gun) than the cheapest custom rifle action can be purchased for).

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Rare as hell down here. Only seen one and he wouldn’t sell it ...
Keep your eyes open,...I’d rather have a good used ASE over a new 694 any day of the week.. luv mine,...had a few, best quality guns for the price,..luv the stepped-rib. Not to say the 694 is a Shlep, I understand availability of older guns are scarce,... I just feel Beretta is pricing themselves out of the market for what they are asking for their new line of 694’s.. but of course that is my opinion

Sleeve Wood Grey Air gun Shotgun

· Registered
1,345 Posts
Keep your eyes open,...I’d rather have a good used ASE over a new 694 any day of the week.. luv mine,...had a few, best quality guns for the price,..luv the stepped-rib. Not to say the 694 is a Shlep, I understand availability of older guns are scarce,... I just feel Beretta is pricing themselves out of the market for what they are asking for their new line of 694’s.. but of course that is my opinion

View attachment 1745282
Beautiful middle 1990's ASE with graystone receiver finish, looks like a safe queen? You don't see many ASE on resale market, only a few a year as owners don't give them up.

· Registered
2,995 Posts
I remember seeing quite a few ASEs here in the UK on the Olympic trap circuit 20 years ago. They were very desirable guns but I never owned one. Notwithstanding the mayhem that CV-19 has caused here for the past year, I haven't seen an ASE being used in anger for a long time although there are a few on the s/h market. Whether they are true unadulterated trap guns or trap guns that have been 'sporterized' I've no idea. Buyer beware!

· Registered
5,327 Posts
Quite a few ASEs being used still in Olympic and dtl trap. One guy I know has several in his safe.

I’m going to see if he has a high rib but I’m not hopeful.

Most of the ones I see are trap/ISSF trap models.

The 694 is still a maybe if I can handle one. Perhaps at our Nationals in October

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ASEs are a dime a dozen down here. A high rib on the other hand, is rarer than an ethical politician.
I understand the Beretta 694 is technically a better gun than the 682/692 series,...as Rich Cole explains in this video.
I'm just not a fan of the new receiver design, maybe it'll grow on me ;) ....but that stepped rib does look really really good on the New DTL version.

· Registered
2,995 Posts
Quite a few ASEs being used still in Olympic and dtl trap. One guy I know has several in his safe.

I’m going to see if he has a high rib but I’m not hopeful.

Most of the ones I see are trap/ISSF trap models.

The 694 is still a maybe if I can handle one. Perhaps at our Nationals in October
Sounds as if you're looking for another gun. Would that be for DTL or OT or both?

I don't know what you'd pay for an ASE in Oz. Here they are way too much money for maybe a 25 year old gun IMHO. You could buy a s/h DT11 for the same money or less..........or a s/h DT10 for considerably less. I seem to remember some ASEs had problems with ribs coming off. For me, if the decision was between a lightly used DT10 or a new 694 I'd go for the DT10 every time and the decision wouldn't be based on ackers.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with a used DT10/11 as mentioned by Old-Diabetic, I’m going to add the ASE in that group,... ASE in a higher build class than the DT series guns.... all can be had for around the price of a new 694. Market is tough as it seem no one is selling,... and people charging more for whom are selling.
The early ASE with Boehler barrels had issues with ribs popping (soft-solder)... if I remember Perazzi had the same issue at one point.
Nevertheless... I’d rather go with a GOOD used gun instead of new...depreciation loss won’t be a factor with a used gun as apposed to new.

· Registered
2,995 Posts
Yes I’m thinking about a new gun for DTL. I’m out of OT (don’t ask) and I think a high rib would help. I shot an old 682 X originally.

A dealer here has a DT10 high rib. I’m drooling as we speak.
I've had three DT10X O/Us with the 'high' rib. Two were 32" and the other one 30". All were good guns to shoot at DTL. However, I found I shot better with the 32" ones so sold the 30" one to a guy who promptly croaked! Maybe my aftershave was laced with Novichok or Sarin. I'm nearly 6ft 3" (but shrinking with old age) and the longer barrels seemed to suit me better.

When I shot OT and UT quite seriously I used a 32" 682 flat ribbed Greystone which had an Essevierre stock I had made for me. I've always found I shot OT better with a flat ribbed gun, which is the reason I bought two 32" 692s with flat ribs a couple of years ago.

A couple of weeks ago I nearly bought another 32" DT10X. My interest in it was only because by coincidence its serial number was precisely the next one to the DT10X I use as my 'everyday trap gun'. Buying it would have made a pair. The gun was in very good nick, but the dealer wanted a bit too much for it so I passed.

Good luck if you do buy the DT10X that you've seen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.