Trapshooters Forum banner

Beretta 694 Barrel Selector

5102 Views 17 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  sidnofear
With new Beretta 694 sporting clay, occasionally when firing the gun I'll get a click and a FTF and it appears the selector has moved from it's left side position (lower Barrel) to the right. When I return the selector to the right it fires as usual. Unlikely I moved the selector as it is still stiff and only moves with dedicated effort. Wonder about possible causes and whether this can be repaired.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
833 Posts
Haven't seen a 694 but this is a common occurance on Berettas. It typically happens when the top lever is actuated, some people inadvertently brush the selector with enough force to move it, happened to one of the guys on my league squad all the time. My DT10s and some of the 68x guns have a locking screw to prevent this however, it also defeats the ability to choose which barrel fires first which can be a bit of a pain shooting sporting clays or even skeet.

Here's a shot of one of the DT10s with the locking screw removed:

· Premium Member
98 Posts
Over the years I have had several O/U Berettas and had never had this happen to me, but when I started shooting my 694 it happened at least once a shooting day. I figured it was me getting familiar with the new lever design. I had to start paying more attention to how I opened the gun. Part design, part polite error for me.

· Registered
617 Posts
Yes, common with some shooting styles. My son had the same issue so I put a little gorilla glue under the barrel selector so it shoots bottom 1st and can not be bumped over. With using Gorilla glue it can be removed at a further time if needed. Mike

· Registered
2 Posts
With new Beretta 694 sporting clay, occasionally when firing the gun I'll get a click and a FTF and it appears the selector has moved from it's left side position (lower Barrel) to the right. When I return the selector to the right it fires as usual. Unlikely I moved the selector as it is still stiff and only moves with dedicated effort. Wonder about possible causes and whether this can be repaired.
I have the same problem and it has cost me points again at the last shoot.
Initially I thought I must be accidentally catching the selector when opening the gun but this is not happening ,if you find a solution I hope you share it, I will do the same

· Registered
2,056 Posts
687 JES mine would get switched to the upper barrel when I opened with my thumb I had no ability to lock it (no set screw). I had a gunsmith drill and tap.the safety and install a small set screw. Works great

· Registered
139 Posts
687 JES mine would get switched to the upper barrel when I opened with my thumb I had no ability to lock it (no set screw). I had a gunsmith drill and tap.the safety and install a small set screw. Works great
I had this happen also with my new 694.It was this last winter,gloves and all.It did it several times over 6 or 8 week period.It seems to have fixed itself though as it has not happened in the last 3 or 4 months.May have been the gloves,not sure.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke with my gunsmith at Cole Fine Guns and he plans to tighten up the selector switch. Will see if this works.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The issue seemed to go away for about 100 shots, then returned recently 1 in 25. An unneeded distraction consciously worried about bumping the selector. I now believe a positive way to resolve this issue of selector moving on the 694 is to have a hole drilled on the selector switch and add a set screw. This is the way my DT11 was delivered from Beretta so it should not detract from the resale value of the gun.

· Registered
30 Posts
The issue seemed to go away for about 100 shots, then returned recently 1 in 25. An unneeded distraction consciously worried about bumping the selector. I now believe a positive way to resolve this issue of selector moving on the 694 is to have a hole drilled on the selector switch and add a set screw. This is the way my DT11 was delivered from Beretta so it should not detract from the resale value of the gun.
If you end up going this route would you mind posting a follow-up with a pic or two?

· Registered
1 Posts
Who did that work for you. I want to have it done. Being left handed, it moves on me often. I would like to have it tapped out with a set screw.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.