Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have held the 686 Onyx pro trap and like the feel of the double 32" it lines up great. I have also held and shot the 725 trap mc stock , but the palm swell is a little on the big side but not a deal breaker , but my main concern is that I would definitely have to get the comb cut to move my eye to the right a bit more.
I need some experienced people with these models to tell me which one is built better and will withstand lots of shooting?

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
686 every time. Same base gun that's been made since 1980, with the same base set of internal parts, which every competition gunsmith will have on hand for replacement and service. Plus you can add/change barrels, stocks, ect later on if your desires change, not possible on the 725.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Beretta is my choice. I know a lot of people that have good luck with the japanese Browning guns, so I do not think they are not bad. I like the lower action of the Beretta and the fit.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
OK, I guess I'm swimming against the current here, but I just purchased a Browning 725 Pro Trap 32" and am delighted with it. I am shooting it as well as anything I have owned. One of the things I really like about it is that it has a balance adjustment mechanism in the stock that lets you balance the gun to your shooting style. I had a Citori XT and sold it because it felt like a club in my hands. The 725 Pro Trap with half the available weights in the stock, proves to be lively and quick pointing for me. The fit and finish of the wood and metal is excellent. I have the Beretta 686 and 687. I prefer the browning.
Blast away
John

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
ewholmes,

I am wondering if your inertia block lever spring is still good. Have you shot any doubles lately. If not try and dry fire the bottom barrel and bump the butt with the palm of your hand or bump it on the floor to see if the gun cycles to the top barrel.

The first two 682s that I bought that spring broke just over a year, I found that interesting since the guns had a 1 year warranty.

Buck Reaper,

The local range went with Browning 425 for rental guns way back when and shot the hell out of them for 4 to 6 years. They then tried 686s after about a year they got rid of them and bought 725s.

So if you have limited access to a gunsmith go with the Browning 725.

That said I prefer the feel of the Beretta 682 and 686. I also like the exchange ability of the parts as mentioned above. In fact I have jokingly referred to my 680 fixed full choke 32" unsingle barrel, Schnabel forearm, 682 receiver from a Sporting 682, Precision Fit Stock as my Frankenstein gun.

Every year at the Grand I have my 2 trap 682s checked up by the Beretta smiths there and have the Inertia Block lever springs replaced as preventive maintenance.

Jason

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got to shoot a guys 686 silver pigeon 3 Joel etchen trap 32" O/U and I shot a 23 and it was too long for me but still swung real even and really liked the way it felt

·
Registered
629 Posts
I LOVE the 680 series Beretta's. Had 6 of them at one point. They are simple, attractive, reliable, and go bang every time. That's my vote.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've got a Beretta 686S Silver Pigeon and a Browning 725 Trap. They are both excellent guns and I like both, but they are very different in handling and 'feel'.
The 686S is a great sporting clays gun and a mediocre trap gun; the 725 is just the opposite.

I've handled the Onyx Trap and I will admit to drooling.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I had to make this choice 3 years ago. First time I laid eyes on a picture of the Onyx Pro Trap I wanted it. I shoot Brownings well though and really liked the 725 Trap.
This time emotions won out and I got the Beretta and still love it after 3 years.
It must be a contagious thing because others I shoot with are showing up with their own Onyx Pro Trap's and Joel Etchens 687's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts