Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new and have been shooting and learning trap at a local range and the guys at the range have been nice and helpful. let me try their guns and everything.

So I was there recently and right now all I have is a Mossberg 500 with a 28 inch barrel with accu choke. I mentioned seeing a CZ drake for sale for around $680 out the door and one of the other gentlemen there mentioned that he was selling a Beretta 685 for $700. I shot the gun and while it is a tad lighter than the Mossberg it is much more handy and has a nice adjustable butstock ( the kind that goes in and out and twists, or at least it looked like that is what it did since it was extended and twisted.) so felt recoil is same or less. It has a few small dings in the stock, and the lever is center/right of center when locked up ( it seemed right of center most of the time, but one time when I looked it was just about center.)

They told me it has a fixed choke ( I cant remember the types, but the bottom was less of a choke then the top.) but that it should be fine for a beginner.

Anyways, I guess my question is what y'all think about that for a starting trap gun? I don't have thousands to spend, Or at least I don't want to spend thousands at my current skill level and interest level. Maybe a few years down the road I will sell and upgrade. but for now with me having a decent interest in starting trap, what y'all think of that deal? How about replacing parts? like is it possible down the road to get a barrel set with replaceable chokes or would I be using something like barrel tubes? since it is discontinued does Bretta still make parts to repair it with?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If you are shooting trap I would not get any of those. They are field guns and only weigh in the 7 pound range. They are too light and will wear you down from the recoil shooting trap. In that price range I would buy a Remington 870 Trap before any of the ones you mentioned. It sounds like the 685 has a Gracoil or some other recoil device. That would help some. If you do not plan on shooting doubles look at a Browning BT99. You can pick one up used, shoot it for several years and probably get your money back if you sell it.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
MUCH more information needed.....barrel length.....I am not familiar with a 685....
Other barrels in the 680 Series are readily available.
A Beretta would be a FAR BETTER choice over CZ

·
Banned
684 Posts
MUCH more information needed.....barrel length.....I am not familiar with a 685....
Cowboy Rick the 685 Beretta is sort of in a category by itself.Most of them were extractor only with no selective ejectors and additional barrels from the 680 series Berettas will not interchange because of this.The butt stock and fore end can be fitted to 685 from other 680 series guns but this doesn’t mean they are inferior to the other 680 Berettas the 685 will share many of the internal receiver parts etc.
The 685 is a work horse as a field gun it is light weight and very solid built and were all fixed choke guns.
There were a few 685 E series manufactured the E designated the gun as being equipped with selective ejectors but they were mostly marketed in the U.K. and we’re equipped with attachments for a carrying sling.Best regards Harold

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd pass on the 685, I enjoyed mine as a field gun but you give up alot in interchangeability between other 680 series. Too light for serious clays shooting as well. You could get into a decent used auto in that price range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Something I forgot to add which make a bit of a difference in my gun choice. My left shoulder has been messed up for a couple of years now( working on getting into physical therapy, but with current events that will be a while, and I am doctor shy... ) and I am right handed, so for example today I ran thru 50 rounds of Remington premier sts light target rounds in my Mossberg with a Allen Recoil eraser pad and during shooting I had to take breaks cause supporting the front of the gun was wearing out my bad shoulder, but my right shoulder was fine from the recoil. So I ( at least for the next few years) will want a lighter gun cause holding it and moving it hurts me more then the recoil currently.

If you are shooting trap I would not get any of those. They are field guns and only weigh in the 7 pound range. They are too light and will wear you down from the recoil shooting trap. In that price range I would buy a Remington 870 Trap before any of the ones you mentioned. It sounds like the 685 has a Gracoil or some other recoil device. That would help some. If you do not plan on shooting doubles look at a Browning BT99. You can pick one up used, shoot it for several years and probably get your money back if you sell it.
What benefit would a 870 Trap have over me spending more money on my Mossberg for a nicer stock or chokes or something else? I am not a shotgun lover/collector so if I got a 870, I would sell the Mossberg.

I think it was a 28, but Maybe a 26 ( if that's a thing) I am unsure what else might be helpful since I am new to this sport.

Reading a few more threads made me thinks of stuff. It is extractor, selective fire, the reciver is silver, and the safety stays off when reloading it.

I'd pass on the 685, I enjoyed mine as a field gun but you give up alot in interchangeability between other 680 series. Too light for serious clays shooting as well. You could get into a decent used auto in that price range.
Not a big fan of semi auto shotguns, not ruling it out either, Just never used one before. I would have to try one out a few times before I thought about it, Are semi autos popular in trap?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cowboy Rick the 685 Beretta is sort of in a category by itself.Most of them were extractor only with no selective ejectors and additional barrels from the 680 series Berettas will not interchange because of this.The butt stock and fore end can be fitted to 685 from other 680 series guns but this doesn’t mean they are inferior to the other 680 Berettas the 685 will share many of the internal receiver parts etc.
The 685 is a work horse as a field gun it is light weight and very solid built and were all fixed choke guns.
There were a few 685 E series manufactured the E designated the gun as being equipped with selective ejectors but they were mostly marketed in the U.K. and we’re equipped with attachments for a carrying sling.Best regards Harold
Thanks for the general info! Are parts from the E interchangeable? Also Since the barrels can not interchange cause of the ejector vs extractor, if I find a 68x extractor only barrels would they work? Or am I stuck with using the tubes I have been hearing about?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I'm not familiar with the gun you asked about.
My advice echoes what others have shared in similar threads.
Shoot as many different guns as you can to find what you like. Make sure the gun fits you. Compensating for poor gun fit will just frustrate you.
Heavier guns absorb more recoil so light weight field guns can beat you up (I've only ever shot field guns until recently). So long as you pick a quality gun, most is about personal preference. And since stocks can be modified almost any gun can be made to fit you (for a nominal fee of course).
Good luck in your search

·
Banned
684 Posts
Thanks for the general info! Are parts from the E interchangeable? Also Since the barrels can not interchange cause of the ejector vs extractor, if I find a 68x extractor only barrels would they work? Or am I stuck with using the tubes I have been hearing about?
Beretta never offered the 682 with extractors only ejectors so none are available as an interchange.685 barrels are interchangeable from 685 to 685 only and should be fitted by a reputable gun smith.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum.
I'm not familiar with the gun you asked about.
My advice echoes what others have shared in similar threads.
Shoot as many different guns as you can to find what you like. Make sure the gun fits you. Compensating for poor gun fit will just frustrate you.
Heavier guns absorb more recoil so light weight field guns can beat you up (I've only ever shot field guns until recently). So long as you pick a quality gun, most is about personal preference. And since stocks can be modified almost any gun can be made to fit you (for a nominal fee of course).
Good luck in your search
Will do, Already starting and the people at the local range are awesome about loaning stuff! but when they hand me a 11k new rifle, it is hard for me to even think about how it feels cause I am not even close to affording it!

But that is also how I tried the 685, and I expect I will get more opportunities to try stuff more in my budget.

Beretta never offered the 682 with extractors only ejectors so none are available as an interchange.685 barrels are interchangeable from 685 to 685 only and should be fitted by a reputable gun smith.
Wow I did not know about the gunsmith needed for fitting, Is that normal for all over unders, just Beretta's, or just the Beretta 685 model? I only own the Mossberg right now and that barrel is silly easy to change so never dawned on me that it would need a gunsmith on the 685.

·
Banned
684 Posts
Will do, Already starting and the people at the local range are awesome about loaning stuff! but when they hand me a 11k new rifle, it is hard for me to even think about how it feels cause I am not even close to affording it!

But that is also how I tried the 685, and I expect I will get more opportunities to try stuff more in my budget.

Wow I did not know about the gunsmith needed for fitting, Is that normal for all over unders, just Beretta's, or just the Beretta 685 model? I only own the Mossberg right now and that barrel is silly easy to change so never dawned on me that it would need a gunsmith on the 685.
Highly advisable on any break open Gun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will be TIME & MONEY ahead by finding a TRUE Trap gun.....if this is the
Sport you desire to excel in !!!
That said what is the entry level guns that are recommended? Someone above recommended a Remington 870 trap, How would that be better than me just buying a custom stock and all that jazz for my Mossberg? How would a Semi auto trap gun compare like another person mentioned? I have read a bit about the sport ( not a crazy amount yet, I prefer the back and forth conversation style for learning stuff.), but I am just starting so I have no idea why people choose what types of guns except that over unders seem to be the standard, and the get expensive fast! (And beautiful looking guns in general)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That said what is the entry level guns that are recommended? Someone above recommended a Remington 870 trap, How would that be better than me just buying a custom stock and all that jazz for my Mossberg? How would a Semi auto trap gun compare like another person mentioned? I have read a bit about the sport ( not a crazy amount yet, I prefer the back and forth conversation style for learning stuff.), but I am just starting so I have no idea why people choose what types of guns except that over unders seem to be the standard, and the get expensive fast! (And beautiful looking guns in general)
I would say functionally custom stock for the Mossberg vs an 870 trap they would be similar. But the 870 is probably a bit better gun to start with and would probably hold up better long term.
O/U's are super popular and yes they get pricey fast. But they are super easy to use, easy to catch spent shells, unmistakable to see the action is open.
You mentioned previously $700, was that what the price was on the 685 or is that what you are comfortable spending? When you ask about "entry level" guns you need to know if you plan to use it for more than trap shooting or are you looking for a gun just for trap shooting? That can make a big difference in recommended options

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would say functionally custom stock for the Mossberg vs an 870 trap they would be similar. But the 870 is probably a bit better gun to start with and would probably hold up better long term.
O/U's are super popular and yes they get pricey fast. But they are super easy to use, easy to catch spent shells, unmistakable to see the action is open.
You mentioned previously $700, was that what the price was on the 685 or is that what you are comfortable spending? When you ask about "entry level" guns you need to know if you plan to use it for more than trap shooting or are you looking for a gun just for trap shooting? That can make a big difference in recommended options
$800 is mostly my budget, if I find a gun I just LOVE and feel I can use it for more than just trap, I might be able to drop 1500$ on it. Like is there is a a Shotgun that is decent for SASS and Trap shooting? I would spend more for something like that.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
$800 is mostly my budget, if I find a gun I just LOVE and feel I can use it for more than just trap, I might be able to drop 1500$ on it. Like is there is a a Shotgun that is decent for SASS and Trap shooting? I would spend more for something like that.
SASS is Single Action Shooting Society and from my understanding mostly cowboy action type stuff.
Trap is..well trap shooting. Nothing really fits both those styles.
800-1500+ opens up a number of good options for first trap guns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Missed the BT-99 part of the comment, That look nice and I doubt I will be shooting doubles anytime soon ( that is the highest handicap right?) I will see if anyone at the local range has one they might let me try out! So new it is 1500- 1800 with the nicer adjustable stocks, So you think I should be able to find a good condition one under 1k?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SASS is Single Action Shooting Society and from my understanding mostly cowboy action type stuff.
Trap is..well trap shooting. Nothing really fits both those styles.
800-1500+ opens up a number of good options for first trap guns.
Hehe, I figured that there would not be overlap really. Just that out of the shotguns I plan to buy in the next year, a trap one and a SASS one are it. So it would be much easier to spend a lot of money on one that works for both ( I am not competitive, I mean I like getting good scores and stuff and of course would prefer to win, but I do not tend to chase a win with money/equipment)

This purchase is more towards having something that is considered not to be holding me back, vs having something that will help push me forward if that makes sense.

So 1500 is a stretch for just a Trap gun for me still. Unless I fall in love more than I already have with trap in the next month or so I doubt I will spend over $800.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hehe, I figured that there would not be overlap really. Just that out of the shotguns I plan to buy in the next year, a trap one and a SASS one are it. So it would be much easier to spend a lot of money on one that works for both ( I am not competitive, I mean I like getting good scores and stuff and of course would prefer to win, but I do not tend to chase a win with money/equipment)

This purchase is more towards having something that is considered not to be holding me back, vs having something that will help push me forward if that makes sense.

So 1500 is a stretch for just a Trap gun for me still. Unless I fall in love more than I already have with trap in the next month or so I doubt I will spend over $800.
Sounds like the recommendation previously for an 870 Trap gun would be one of the best options. Then if you have cash left over, buy ammo and go break clays.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've shot SASS for 20+ years. As typical SASS shotgun is a 20" double barrel or 20" Model 97 pump. They are not trap guns. BT99s can be found fairly easily for under $1000.00.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts