Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought I used Beretta 682x Trap gun from Jaquas it looks in really good shape externally and from what I can find out is about 25 years old. Looking to have it looked over and or reduilt while its cold outside. Does anyone have any idea on how much this would cost and where to have it done. I live in Tennessee so it looks like shipping is going to be required.

It shoots great but don't know how many rounds have been shot out of it.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I'm not getting the reason why you are looking for a rebuild. If the gun is functioning fine and the locking lever is to the right of center when you close the gun you have no worries. The most common thing that happens with this model is the inertia reset spring breaks after 10-15K rounds which makes the gun a single shot. This is $10 part that you should learn how to replace on your own. The other thing that happens around 50K rounds is the locking holes on either side of the barrel set wear a bit and the locking bolt drops into the holes further than it should and doesn't provide the solid lockup required to keep the action closed on firing. The indicator of this is that the locking lever will be left of center and the gun may actually open by itself after you fire a round. The fix for that is fitting the next larger size locking bolt to the holes in the tube set. Also something that can be a DIY but probably best left to a pro.

But if your gun is locking up nicely and functioning properly, I would shoot the crap out of it until you have reason to believe there is something going south. Enjoy that 682, it will stand up to a lot of shooting!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I too own a second hand beretta 682x and looked to have it inspected by a quality smith because I wanted to ensure it was upto par for that I paid for it. I held out for a year until the locking bolts started to show some wear and lever was more centered than when I bought it. Cost me 400 which included a barrel fitting that I ended up selling anyway. Holding out and shoot the piss out of it until it fails, repair is warranted.

Gunsmith mitch shultz in ct.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Take a look for a two letter stamping on the barrels by the right side of the mono-block This will be the date code that shows the year it was made.

Mine is a '92 682 X-Trap that I also bought used ~5 years ago. No idea on the round count but it is still going strong. Lever is getting down to center but still locks up tight. I'm thinking over the next coupe of years I might send it in to Phillips but it shows no need now.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
You've purchased one of the BEST Trap Guns ever made. The Beretta 682 series are true competition guns.
They were designed to shoot thousands and thousands of rounds with no problems. They can be rebuilt in
a matter of hours by a competent gun smith and the cost of the rebuild (including parts) is less than what
you pay for an annual on a K-Gun. Enjoy your purchase!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I purchased a used S682X unsingle through Gunbroker. Gun was in excellent cosmetic condition but the forend rattled a little and the action was a little loose. I suspect I’m the 3rd or 4th owner and certainly expected it to need some attention when I bought it. I took it to Glen Hunting who resides at the Silver Dollar and who has done work on another S682X I own. He had to add a little material to the rear of the forend lug (by welding) which eliminated the forend rattle. He reversed the hinge pins as they only wear on the back side and that was all that was needed to make the action feel like new again. He cleaned up the trigger and replaced the lower hammer spring and a few other minor parts. He said the firing pins were fine and added that in 38 years of gunsmithing he’s never had to replace a Beretta firing pin. They don’t break and they don’t burn. The standard locking block had already been replaced with the next size up and the lever was still well to the right so nothing had to be done with the lockup. The cost was $220 and I am more than pleased with the results.

I should also mention that I called Cole’s in Naples to discuss the gun and they quoted $200 to go through the receiver and replace any parts that were worn. The work on the forend and hinge pins would have been extra. I would not hesitate to use Cole’s as they have an excellent reputation but it would have required shipping the gun or a 6 hour round trip. Since I regularly shoot at the Silver Dollar and have had great service from Glen in the past it just made sense to use him again. I’m glad I did.

As a side note, I love both of my S682X Berettas. My O/U was built in 1986 and is all original and in amazing condition. It has the matte black receiver. The unsingle was made in 1985 and other than the locking block is also all original. It has the Silver receiver. Great guns!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts